1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with new dvd burner...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scovik88, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scovik88

scovik88 Thread Starter

Hey, I got a new liteon dvd rom and now that I have it installed I can't get it to play a dvd. It will, though, play a cd. I have my cd rom set as the slave and the dvd set as master.But I have the top plug of my ide ribbon plugged into the slave and the second one plugged into my slave(dvd). Does that make a difference? As far as I know all drivers are installed and the device is shown as working properly in my device mngr. I have an athlon 2200+ 1.79GHz with 256 ram running wpx pro sp2 .Thanks in advance for any help. Scott p.s. thanks for the birthday greeting. Once you get to my age it is just another day.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Make sure that on the back on each drive that you set the jumpers correctly. One drive should be set as Master and the other as Slave. Cable placement is only really important if you are using Cable Select and then the drive at the end of the cable becomes the master. Still its not a bad idea to have the Master at the end.

Also in the BIOS setup make sure the IDE devices are set to AUTO not NONE or manually set to CD/DVD. The drives will still work but not necessarily properly or at their fastest speed.

In Windows you need to install a DVD player to watch DVD movies. Hopefully one came with the drive.

3. scovik88

scovik88 Thread Starter

thanks T6. I checked the bios and everything is set at auto and the drive came with the nero cd so I have the player. I guess I need to go out and get a special screw driver so I can switch the drives. Whoever put in my cd-rom used some kind of torque screw and I can't turn with a reg phillips screw driver. Story of my life! I tried to just twist the ribbon and change the connections but that did not work?? My cd-rom is set as master and the dvd-r as the slave. Thanks again, Scott

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wouldn't worry too much about the cable position, just use Master/Slave settigns and it won't matter.

What happens when you try to play DVD's?

5. scovik88

scovik88 Thread Starter

I can get the player screen to come up but when I push"play" my puter freezes and then shuts down?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What DVD software are you using?

7. scovik88

scovik88 Thread Starter

I have both nero smartstart and powerdvd. I also bought and downloaded interVideo xpack.It froze on all three?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't know what else to try.

9. scovik88

scovik88 Thread Starter

Not me! I need to get this thing working. I thought you guys were the best :(

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well OK, try updating the video card and sound drivers. Might also be worth to update the motherboard drivers as well.

11. scovik88

scovik88 Thread Starter

cool, thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know if it works. Scott (y)

12. john@help

[email protected] Banned

try playing the dvd useing windows media player
    you mite havt to click options click the formats tab and check the box for dvd

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice