1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with New SATA DVD-ROM drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lespaul264, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lespaul264

lespaul264 Thread Starter

Alright; so I recently gutted my old pc; and bought a new motherboard( MSI K9A2 Platinum); and a new processor (AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core); along with a new Video card (eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 512mb); I tried to use my old IDE DVD-ROM drive; but it wouldnt detect it for some reason; but it does detect my IDE CD-ROM drive and my IDE Hard-Drive. So I went out and bought a Samsung Super-writemaster DVD-RW and ROM drive; installed it in my pc; SATA Cables are connected properly; and when I load my computer. It detects it; but when I enter the BIOS setup; I dont see it listed in the CMOS features part; But I do see it in the Boot Sequence menu. When I add it in the boot sequence with my Hard-Drive my PC will start; but then windows will not even recognize it.

I dont get a Found New Hardware or anything.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Soundy

Soundy

Check in the BIOS if there's an option to set RAID or IDE-compatible mode (or anything similar) for the SATA controller. Normally SATA connectors on the motherboard are color-coded - typically you'll connect any boot drives to red plugs, accessory drives (like opticals) to the black plugs. Others like yellow and purple are for RAID controllers that may not be running in a "compatible" mode.

According to the manual for that motherboard, SATA ports 5 and 6 are controlled by a separate Promise RAID controller - if you're plugged into one of those, that's probably why the drive isn't seen, especially if the driver isn't installed for the Promise controller.

3. lespaul264

lespaul264 Thread Starter

I feel like a total idiot now. Usually I can troubleshoot these things myself, but I never have worked with SATA drives. Ill be sure not to make this mistake again.

By the way; I switched my SATA cable to SATA port 1; It still didnt show in the bios menu; but it works.

But hey, Ill take it either way haha. Just installed Unreal Tournament.
    Ready for a long night of torrents. haha

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice