help with non-responding Maxtor HDD...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aquaboy

Hi guys,
I have a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, 200GB ATA/133 HDD which I use as a external HDD through Firewire. I use it to store all my digital photos on. Last night I noticed I was unable to access the disk, and on investigation through My Computer (I run Win XP Home) I noticed that the disk had been renamed to "Local Disk" instead of its previous name and when I tried to select it, I got the message that the disk is either corrupt or unreadable. The disk is about 15mths old, so still in warranty, and has had no previous problems. I've noticed since, that when I switch it on, it appears to not be spinning. XP "sees" it, but I am unable to interrogate it. I have tried plugging it into a different PC and the result is the same.

The data on it is very important to me. Ironically enough I have just purchased a new PC and was starting the backup process on this disk when I was unable to access it. Talk about timing!

Anyway, I am desperate to either fix the disk, or at least save the data on it, so if anyone has any experience, suggestions or thoughts I would certainly welcome them.

Thanks, as always,
Aquaboy.

Try taking it out of it's enclosure and install it as a "slave" on your computer.
When you say:
" I've noticed since, that when I switch it on, it appears to not be spinning"
Maybe the power source in the enclosure has gone bad.
Let's hope so for your sake, cause if it isn't spinning when connected
to your main computer, you have to take it to a proffessional
data recovery service and that's expensive.

aquaboy

dobbelina said:
Try taking it out of it's enclosure and install it as a "slave" on your computer.
My PC has 4 x 250GB HDDs running in a RAID 0 format. How would I do this to check?

dobbelina said:
When you say:
" I've noticed since, that when I switch it on, it appears to not be spinning"
Maybe the power source in the enclosure has gone bad.
I thought of that and have since put it in another external case with the same result.

dobbelina said:
Let's hope so for your sake, cause if it isn't spinning when connected
to your main computer, you have to take it to a proffessional
data recovery service and that's expensive.
At this point in time I don't much care about the cost, I just want my photos back. Is it likely that somone will be able to retrieve it?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If it's not spinning up with power connected, even without an interface cable, then you have a hardware issue. You "may" be able to find an identical drive and swap drive electronics and perhaps revive it. If the HDA assembly has failed internally, the only hope will be a data recovery service.

aquaboy said:
XP "sees" it, but I am unable to interrogate it.
If XP can see the drive I would try booting with a Knoppix Live CD and see if Knoppix can see it. If Knoppix can access it and you have another external USB hard drive you may be able to drag and drop your folders to the 2nd external. I would unplug all the other drives so that there are not a lot of drives showing on the Knoppix desktop.

To drag and drop the files and folders to the 2nd external it would need to be formatted in FAT32.

I really don't know if it will work or not but to me it would be worth a shot.

BTW, I have a Maxtor 120 gig SATA drive 14 months old that is failing also.

Good Luck :)

Rereading your post, you may need to take the failed drive out of its enclosure and set it up as the master on the primary IDE channel for Knoppix to see the drive.

I have 2-80 gig externals one formatted as NTFS and one as FAT32. Knoppix will not recognize the external formatted as NTFS but does recognize the drive formatted in FAT32.
It has no trouble recognizing an internal drive formatted in NTFS.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If it has failed to spin in two different external enclosures, it almost certainly has a hardware problem, and connecting it internally won't accomplish much. :)

aquaboy

win2kpro said:
If XP can see the drive I would try booting with a Knoppix Live CD and see if Knoppix can see it. If Knoppix can access it and you have another external USB hard drive you may be able to drag and drop your folders to the 2nd external. I would unplug all the other drives so that there are not a lot of drives showing on the Knoppix desktop.
What is this Knoppix Live CD and where do I get it?

win2kpro said:
To drag and drop the files and folders to the 2nd external it would need to be formatted in FAT32.

I really don't know if it will work or not but to me it would be worth a shot.
I'll give anything a shot right now.

win2kpro said:
BTW, I have a Maxtor 120 gig SATA drive 14 months old that is failing also.

Good Luck :)
They shouldn't be failing after so little time should they? My old PC had an 80GB disk in that lasted 5yrs, and is still going in the form of an external disk now.

aquaboy

win2kpro said:
BTW, does your burner software support burning an ISO image?
I use Nero generally. Does that? I've never had to think about it before.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online