1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with NT

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by casper22, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casper22

casper22 Thread Starter

Hello. I recently received a secondhand computer (P2 266 mHz) from a friend. It was a windows NT server in its previous life. When I tried to start it, it asks me for ADMINISTRATOR password of which I do not have. I physically removed the hard-drive of this unit and attached it to my other computer as a slave. I then formatted this slave hard-drive. After formatting, I physically re-attached this hard-drive to its original CPU and started the computer. It wont run now. :(

I want to install windows XP on this hard-drive so I can use it. I tried the CD and the floppy drive on this unit but it is not working entirely as it always boots from the hard-drive of which I believe is now formatted.:confused:

PLEASE HELP.

2. sockey99

sockey99

Casper,
    You now have a old, slow computer with a formatted hard drive which contains no operating system. XP cpu min. requirements are 400-500 Mhz cpu. Min. memory is 64 mb, but that is still really slow. To get any suitable operation you need 128 Mb of memory. Windows pages will start at the top of the screen and fill in one line at a time. My best suggestion is Win98se, NOT ME,2000/PRO. or XP. Where can you get sound and video drivers, even if you have sound? Way to recycle guy.

You can always put NT Server back and use it on your network.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Is the Bios set to boot from the Floppy or Cd drive first. I would not even attempt to run Windows XP on their. You will just get really frustrated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice