1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with old drive please

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ronnie1, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ronnie1

ronnie1 Thread Starter

I bought a new hard drive to expand what I had to work with, and what I wanted to do was make the new and better hard drive my boot drive. Well during my XP installation, I accidentally deleted a [FAT] partitioned space on my HDD (1) disk, but it wasn't the boot drive on that disk itself, just some other space that was partitioned. (it's a dell computer) .
    Well I have everything setup and running from the new drive, and the old drive as a slave, but I need to log onto the windows of the old drive, so I reconfigured the boot options and tried to boot up with my old drive.
    I get a message saying that the disk is not bootable, I can't remember the error message verbatim, I'll redo what I did and write it down later.
    So basically, I can access all the files on the old drive from my new install, I just can't boot from the old drive. I believe I need to do this to get all my outlook settings and everything.
    Sorry this all sounds unorganized, but I have a long day. If someone can help, I'd appreciate it.

So basically, If you know how I can reconfigure that small partitioned space (other than C:) I remember it was about 31 MB, so that I can boot from that disk again... or
    if you know how i can copy all my settings for outlook and all my programs to my new drive, that's what I need to do.
    hope someone can understand and help

Ronnie

2. Rosebud6

Rosebud6

C:\Documents and Settings\"your Username here"\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    is the path for your outlook data in windows xp copy all and past into same DIR on new HDD and that would solve your outlook problem, the path would be different if you were using a different OS on the old drive. As for the other problem you would need a Partition recovery tool to get it back. Personally, i would just reinstall the other programs and be done with it, nice fresh installs are the best... but thats me.

3. ronnie1

ronnie1 Thread Starter

is that the same for Outlook Express? Old drive is XP Home, New drive is XP Pro

like Partition Magic? will that make the old drive bootable *without* destroying any files??

4. Rosebud6

Rosebud6

I believe outlook express is located in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\"your Username here"\Application Data\Identities

No not partition magic, you would need something that would recover partitions, i dont think partition magic will do that. I dont know of to many of them. I have a program called Winternals, but i dont think yo uwant to spend $4k to get back some emails. :)

5. ronnie1

ronnie1 Thread Starter

winternals administrator pak v5?
    and you're sure this will make that drive bootable again?

6. ronnie1

ronnie1 Thread Starter

found a bit of info about that partition.
    Because that's pc is a dell machine, they set it up as such.
    the partition is an EISA fat partition, but I can't find any occurances where deleting it would render the system unbootable. Perhaps the boot file needs to be rewritten to account for the missing EISA partition, ?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice