1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with or replace AVC 2410

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by provobis, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. provobis

provobis Thread Starter

Hello all, been some time I've logged on here thanks is large part to the help from tech support guy keeping me out of trouble.

I've had a Adaptec AVC 2410 tuner/capture card for some years and using that have been able to record and burn my personal VHS tapes to DVD as well as (legally) capture TV from satellite programing to also burn recorded TV programing to DVD. The 2410 had Intervideo winDVR 3.0 bundled with it when I bought it and at some point about a year ago the software became somewhat erratic sometimes with video without sound or visa versa, and sometimes freezing whereupon the recording also unexpectedly stops. The only way I have been able to minimize (but not eliminate) such problems was to pre-cycle the recording session (from VHS and/or TV tuner programing) several times before starting my actual record/save session. The problem(s) have become worse whereby now even my preparations before beginning a session do not work well enough, so I can never know when hour(s) of preparation and recording are spoiled by software (or hardware) error/stoppage. I'm not certain if the problem lies with the Adaptec 2410 card, the Win DVR3 software, or both, as I have previously downloaded updates and drivers for both. I was advised nothing more was available for either the software or hardware, both being obsolete or outdated and no longer having support. So I need suggestions on how to fix the software, hardware, or replace both with an equivalent or better bundle which I can use to continue my multimedia activity as described.

I am running XP pro svc pk 2, total physical memory 4,096 mb, Dual Intel 3005 mz,

Any observations, suggestions, recommendations, referrals?

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

have you made a point of deleting all temp files each time you do a recording. I am using obsolete video capture cards and provided you have the correct software for these devices then you should be able to record successfully i to use xp_spk2
    can you play a vcr tape into the pc viewing it ok for video and sound?..check all cable connections at the plugs..while playing a tape wriggle all connections..at the plugs..

3. provobis

provobis Thread Starter

Thanks Johnebadbak, yes I always delete temp files if only as good practice to save/recover my drive space. The software I have been using all along is what was bundled or supplied by Adaptec. When I started to have error problems and was told by Adaptec there was no longer support, updates, patches, drivers, etc., I thought I of using different software to replace what Adaptec supplied or recommended (My DVD & WinDVR3), assuming the errors were caused by that software but was told there was nothing else compatible with the 2410 card. However after awhile there were message board posts by other 2410 users with similar or same problems who claimed at least two stand alone suites could be used with good results. I'm not yet satisfied that's true for all my circumstances and do not want to fly around buying software willy nilly just to see if it works.

I do view the VCR tapes while recording them, however with this software it's normal to lose sound during the actual record process according to the software user instructions.

Checking connections/plugs etc is always well advised and I do so of course, even reinstalling the 2410 card and repeating all available driver or software updates.

BTW, wondering if it would help to update my XP to sp3 which I have been reluctant to do because of M$ reported bugs out there. I don't want to ruin the best OS M$ has ever put out. What do you think? :D

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

Yeah if it its not broke don't fix it i am a spk2 user on xp run all my programs on it ok and don't let any updates in.
    If you were interested in new capture card i use winfast tv card found leadtek programs excellent
    http://www.leadtek.com/ i use expert2000 record capture card for vcr2hdd and DTV1000T for digital recording..

5. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

recheck video bit rate and the audio connection in the properties of the card i use 4000bit for video and usually state which audio connection to use..line-in or aux or wav out mix make sure these or at least the one you know is the audio all checked (tick) connection in the sound recording properties of the sound card used in the pc.

6. provobis

provobis Thread Starter

OK, to further clarify, and reply....in WinDVR which is what I am using to capture TV from Satellite TV programming, in setup I have the aspect ratio at 4:3, audio mode auto detect, RECORD set to "best" out of "good", "better", and "custom" with "best" being mepg-2, audio mepg-1-layer II, sampling 44.1 khz stereo, and bit rate 224kb/s with video size at 720X480, frame rate 29.97f/s, bit rate at 6800kbits/s. TIME SHIFTING at normal mode.

What happens when trying to capture IF I DO NOT CYCLE PRE-RECORD SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE ACTUAL RECORDING SESSION, is that about 15-30 minutes into the capture the video freezes with no sound. I then have to start all over but with a break in capture program continuity. But if I pre-cyle before the record session usually the capture (with sound) will be OK for about 1 1/2 hours or about 4 gb, but then only video is captured with no sound for a remaining 1/2-1 gb for a full length video or movie of about 2 1/2-3 hours.

I would really like to hold on to the Adaptec 2410 card if I could determine that the card (even with no support but using all available past driver upgrades) is not the problem, AND that the WinDVR software is the problem and cannot be fixed so that I could then substitute another current software substitute that is compatible with the 2410 card. If none of the above is practical or reasonably possible, I'll replace the whole bundle with something equal or better that's current and supported. I have surfed around looking but that type of current capture card bundle seems to be in short supply (maybe because of today's wide use of Satellite TV DVR packages?) :D

7. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

http://www.nodevice.com/driver/AVC-2410/get44056.html
    this site will scan for driver errors and has software download version 1.1 all settings are ok
    i would switch off the time shift.sounds as if its a driver problem
    i also sent you email view on site private mail..

8. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

9. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

another thought i take it that you adaptec card is pci type if so open pc and lift the card and reseat it i have known cards to ease in the pci slots and cause problem errors etc...

10. provobis

provobis Thread Starter

I'm back! I started from scratch, pulled and reinstalled the AVC-2410 card as well as the original software on the installation disk. Downloaded from here http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/downlo...-2410&dn=VideOh!+DVD+Media+Center+PCI+Edition the #3 driver update listed as version 1.1 updated in 2006. (However it appears in device manager as 1.1.0.3100 when installed). I should mention I have done all this before and it never solved the problem(s) I had (and still do) have as far as I know. But notice that on the Adaptec site above there is another (#2) download version 1.21 which is what I had previously downloaded and used long ago. I would expect that 1.21 is later and more current than 1.1 the which you copied and recommended to me. Furthermore, I recall Adaptec advice on one of their support pages specified 1.21 was for "My DVD" and 1.1 was for both My DVD and WinDvr but both being updated on May 25, 2006. So at this point I'm not certain which driver version should be used. Incidentally any driver scan says the AVC-2410 driver is outdated, but I've found that any of the versions available will yield the same result, so what do you suppose those scans would would give me to use???? if I already have tried everything compatible from Adaptec?

I think I'm almost ready to dump everything and replace it. I guess you can see I've been through this ringer over the last few years and have been unable to fix it. I was hoping there would be new aftermarket developments or solutions. ;)

11. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

well if you have tried a few versions of the software then its not the problem It may be that the pci card has a fault.when you check in device manager does the card show its installed and operating properly check the card by right click and click properties..

12. provobis

provobis Thread Starter

In device manager (as always) it says the device is operating properly. However something funny(?) ...although this "device type" is a "sound, video, and game controller", if I click on troubleshoot the menu is for sound problems only with no option for video at all. Seems M$ might know something I don't after all and might be giving me a clue. If so I suspect the problem is with drivers, but since there's no further support or update from Adaptec for this card it's not likely I can do anything about it, except perhaps try other (compatible) capture software to replace MyDVD and WinDVR3. Don't know if that's worth pursuing anymore though. Remember that Adaptec stated unequivocally that no other software would work with this card, even though I've seen posts on forums elsewhere from users that claimed success with replacement apps that work with the 2410.

Just before this last post of yours I tried capturing again using ver 121 driver and there was sound but no video at all. I had to first update the card with every driver version available from Adaptec and then change it back to the (most recent) ver 121 again. So it appears I'm back to where I started. Although I haven't had the time to try a full length capture of 2-3 hours, I'll bet I'll have the same deal again.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice