1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Overclocking.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harvest, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Harvest

Harvest Thread Starter

Ok so I have a q6600. A BFG nForce 680i LT motherboard. and 4gb of G-Skill 800mhz ram.

I tried overclocking and went to 2.8 ghz, did a ntune stress test and everything was fine. That was last night, tonight I tried going to 3.0 and everything was good. I went to 3.2 but windows wouldn't start so went back to 3.0.

I tried Prime95, after a few moments I got a BSOD. Now I'm wondering what do I need to increase. I have the voltage increased one level for the cpu only. It is at 1.1688v.

I have not touched the RAM. Do I increase the RAM speed or what voltages do I increase?

Thank you.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to set the ram one step lower ie from 800 down to 667. When you up the fsb, you are overclocking the ram also. In addition have you locked the pci bus? If not, you are overclocking the pci/pci-e as well. The more variables you insert into a problem, the harder it becomes to find the cause.

Here is what I would do;
    1 Read your manual and become familiar with the bios and settings
    2 Find the pci lock and set it to 100 NOT auto
    3 Find the ram speed and lower it

Now run your stability test. If it runs OK, then again up the fsb until you get an error in prime95 [BTW you are using the latest ver of p95 correct]

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One last piece of advise. Do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace. Even experienced OCers sometimes fry parts.

4. Parkman

Parkman

Look up an OC guide for your processor, they are quite prevalent for the q6600. You should be able to run the FSB at 400 pretty easily, which will run your RAM x2 at 800 MHz, the with a CPU multiplier of 7 you would have 2.8Ghz,7.5= 3Ghz, 8 = 3.2 etc. You will have to up CPU voltage incrementally for stability but an OC guide will typically have some values you can plug in safely.

5. Harvest

Harvest Thread Starter

The pci bus was already at 100.

I lowered the RAM, and THANK YOU. This worked amazingly. Playing Far Cry 2 I used to get a lot of lag all the time. Now I still get a little bit of lag but its much much better. I'm at 3.0ghz now and plan on going to 3.4 or something. The temps are still about the same as stock...only increased the voltage one or two levels...

Thank you!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. Remember to run prime95 to test stability. If it is not prime95 stable, it is NOT a stable overclock.

You can mark your own thread as solved using the thread tools at the top of the page.

7. Harvest

Harvest Thread Starter

but do I really need to? If it runs my games fine, I think thats good enough...I'll do it anyway tomorrow..

what if it gets an error, what do I increase/decrease?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you get an error, you need to backoff to a known stable OC. Since you have already upped the vcore, I would NOT be going any higher on cpu voltage. It is up to you however I always run p95 for a min of 15min after each adjustment. This gives me an idea of how hot the system runs and shows if there are any problems.

One thing to remember when overclocking. You may have a stable system that will run for a while at those settings however as parts age, what was stable 6 months or a year ago may not be stable now.

9. Harvest

Harvest Thread Starter

Ok, so when I try to go to 3.2ghz, it doesn't get passed the XP loading screen. Once it froze, once it reset, and once it just kept loading and never did anything.

What do I do now? I need to get this to 3.2ghz..

10. Parkman

Parkman

have you looked up optimal voltages for your CPU with the chosen multiplier/FSB combo?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Where are you getting the idea that you can run 3.2 stable? There is no guarantee in any overclocking. Just because someone else claims to have run a given cpu at a given speed is no guarantee you can do the same.

You can attempt to up both vcore and the nbridge voltage however when you start upping voltages above what the part is rated for, you run the risk of frying the part

It is up to you. Remember Chuck's law "Never overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace"

12. Harvest

Harvest Thread Starter

I was just wondering what I should try. A lot of people have gotten to 3.6 so I thought 3.2 was reasonable....

>_>

I can afford to replace the parts I just wouldn't want to of course :p

Its just that I paid all this money for a PC and this cpu is limiting my GPU apparently and I want to play games like Far Cry 2 on max settings 60fps like a lot of people..

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you increased northbridge voltage?

14. Harvest

Harvest Thread Starter

nope, I haven't done anything since your post.

Also, I don't know what I did...but temps went to about 35idle even though I'm at 3ghz still..

They were at 40idle without overclocking so I don't know.

Probably if I get a snow day or something or the weekend I'll take a day to figure this stuff out and hopefully get it higher.

I really don't want to fry anything...I went through a lot of BS with faulty parts and shipping etc.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Remember overclocking is not a quick endeavor. It takes a lot of time to do a correct [ie stable] OC.

One other thought. Have you tried lowering the cpu multi and running a higher fsb? As an example you have a multi of 10 when you run a fsb of 300, you get a 3gig cpu. By lowering the multi to 9 and running the fsb at 333, you get the same 3gig cpu however one may be stable and the other may not. Again it is not an exact science and what works for one person does not necessarily work for everyone.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/772692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice