1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! with partitioned drive!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MELISBOY, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MELISBOY

MELISBOY Thread Starter

Hi

i have recently re-installed windows xp on my acer travelmate 240 laptop. Since the reinstallation the second hard drive which was present before is no loger available in 'my computer' folder. At first i thought that the laptop had two harddrives but after doing some research on the tinternet i have now realised that my harddrive may be partitioned. From what i understand my laptop has a forty gig harddrive and only 27.95 gb (fat32)is showing in 'computer mgt' (my computer/right click/manage) screen, but the layout column says 'partition' i have tried various freeware programs to reinstate the second harddrive but have failed cconsistenly and keeps giving me the same info as the computer mgt screen does. I am wondering if there ever was a second harddrive in my computer folder.

Can anyone help as this is driving me mad and endless hours searching the internet

ross

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you post a screen shot of what you see in Disk Management?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you use the CD that came with the machine, or a different, full, version?

4. MELISBOY

MELISBOY Thread Starter

5. MELISBOY

MELISBOY Thread Starter

full recovery cds that came with the laptop when new

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    According to your screen shot you have a 30GB hard drive and it is being fully utilized. And I've seen many sites listing the original drive as a 30GB like this one: http://www.bixnet.com/tr240se.html Acer does partition the hard drive into two parts on most laptops, and so does the Acer recovery, for whatever reason your recovery set didn't set up the two partitions as they were originally.

7. MELISBOY

MELISBOY Thread Starter

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, go to Device Manager and look under the hard disk drives section and report what model number the hard drive is.

Many laptops come is slightly different configurations, there may be 30 and 40 GB models.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice