1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with PC shutting off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JustinVGT, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JustinVGT

JustinVGT Thread Starter

This is probably my first time posting, but I want to say thanks for all the info you all have on here, it's helped me a lot in the past.

Okay, I built my computer a year ago. I think it was a virus that killed my hard drive earlier this week. I noticed my PC was acting very slowly and then when shut off a random times. It began to shut off more frequently and then would not boot up at all. I installed the drive into another PC and ran some recovery software. At first I could see all the files, but the recovery software was taking a while to finish scanning the drive, so I left it on over night and during my work day the following day, total of about 18 hours running. When I got off work, it seemed to have locked up so I rebooted the PC. My hard drive was no longer functioning, just making a constant clicking sound. Windows, nor the recovery software could locate the drive.

Today I just bought a new hard drive. I finished installing Windows XP Pro and all my drivers and important software such as photo editing, Nero, Norton Firewall. As I was setting up the firewall, my pc suddenly shut off. I do not have broadband, so my PC has not been online yet. I rebooted and could only use it for a few minutes and then it shuts off again. I cleared the CMOS on the motherboard and reset all the settings. That did not help, it is still shutting off.

Is it possible the virus stayed on my motherboard and now transferred to this new hard drive? Anyone have some suggestions on what I can do? If it is a virus, will turning it on more allow the virus to cause more damage? I really appreciate the help.

Here are the specs of my system:
    Soyo Dragon Ultra Black Edition
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    512 MB DDR
    GeForce Ti4200 64 MB
    brand new Western Digital 160 GB

The pc was running fine during the first couple of hours of set up. Now it is randomly shutting off. The temperature is not high, so that's not the reason. Could it be a virus? It sounds like my hard drive is making a writing sound constantly now. Please help.

Thanks,

Justin

2. JustinVGT

JustinVGT Thread Starter

Quick update:

I just downloaded "Hiajackthis". Well, now my desktop will not even turn on at all. Power goes to the motherboard, the fans all turn on for about one second then suddenly turn off.

Please help, any ideas?

Thanks,
    Justin

3. JustinVGT

JustinVGT Thread Starter

I've been reading around and I'm wondering if the virus wrote to my motherboard's flash memory. It is a Soyo Dragon Ultra KT400. Is there a way to fix it, possibly have to ship it out? Is it best to just buy a new motherboard? Right now all it does is power up for less than a second then shut off.

4. JustinVGT

JustinVGT Thread Starter

Can anyone please give me some input? I think I'm going to buy a new motherboard. One concern I have is if the virus got onto my new hard drive, I want to make sure it does not infect the new motherboard. When I first boot up the new motherboard, should I try to immediately format my hard drive?

Thanks,
    Justin

5. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I think this is hardware related, do you want me to move your post over to hardware?

6. JustinVGT

JustinVGT Thread Starter

I guess if you think I'll get some replies in hardware, then please move this post there. Thanks, I was thinking it was a virus so I put this under security which says includes viruses and removal tips.

Thanks,
    Justin

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice