1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with picking mother board and PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fracture, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fracture

Fracture Thread Starter

Okay, so me and my brother are planning on building a computer soon.

For the CPU, we chose to go with an AMD Athlon X2 64 6000+
    GPU, and 8800GT, when we can get our hands on one of coarse.
    For the cooling unit for the CPU, i had the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm suggested to me.
    For the RAM we decided to go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145098.

I am still hacing problems choosing a mother board and PSU, it's been a long time since i've even swapped boards and PSU's out of cases. So i was wondering if anybody could suggest a good mother board for gaming. Preferably a more inexpensive board, but the price doesn't really matter that much. And also if someone could suggest a PSU, or has better suggestions for RAM and a cooling unit, that would help a lot.

2. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

First, spend the extra seven dollars and go with this RAM. It is faster than the RAM you picked out, and it is made by Corsair, one of the most trusted makers of memory.

As for a motherboard, you might want to consider this one. SLI-Ready, AM2 socket, DDR2 RAM, gigabit ethernet, relatively high customer reviews, and has then name ASUS, a respected motherboard maker. I narrowed down your choices on NewEgg to these ten, assuming you hope to set up SLI sometime.

I'm not entirely sure that your cooler will be sufficient. The cooler I use for my Athlon 6000+ is this Zalman 9700. It is three times more expensive, not to mention huge, but it does the job.

3. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

If this were my rig, I would put a Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt PSU in this rig. They presently are on sale at NewEgg for less than some supplies of a much lower quality.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/657673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice