1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP with PING results

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rhapsody, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

HELLO......
    I am not able to get my 2nd comp to connect to the internet via verizon dsl/links router. I did the PING test and the results are posted below.

If you get the following results, the ping test was not successful:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Please HELP!!!! My 2nd comp has been working off and on since we installed the router. This week it is off..............lol.

THX,
    Rhapsody

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you have a 2nd computer, you should try:

1. Open a command prompt, run IPCONFIG /ALL and compare the IP address information between the two computers. Only the actual IP address should be different. The subnet mask, DNS and Gateway information should be the same

2. Pinging the IP address of the first computer and the IP address of the router. If you can't ping to an internal IP address, you certainly aren't going to be able to ping an external one.

3. Ping an external IP address (e.g. 199.181.164.1). If this works, then you have a lot going for you.

4. Ping an external web site by name (e.g. www.yahoo.com). If this doesn't work, then it is likely a DNS issue.

3. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

i have tried all of the above steps and the main comp works fine but the 2nd comp cannot ping any more (it did 3 days ago). sooooooooooooo - how would i go about fixing a DNS prob?

THX,
    Rhapsody

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can't ping any local IP address, then you have more than a DNS problem.

What were the results of running IPCONFIG on the two computers.

Are you using a known working network card (they do go bad), cable and port on the hub.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice