1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with pointing a domain from wix to weebly

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Scott1000, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Scott1000

Scott1000 Thread Starter

Hello

I have a domain with Wix and would like help on how to point it to a site I am creating with weebly. Its been almost 2 weeks of back and forth from wix to weebly.

Wix requires a new "a" name to be updated as well as "c" name.

Weebly says they have no "c" name to give. Only the "a" name - ip address.

Ive tried a few different variations going off of the notes each of the companys are giving me. I have a lot of emails from each explaining the process.

For someone who knows the process it must be a snap. I dont know what is missing or im doing wrong. Never intended it would be impossible on my end. I have done godaddy to weebly many times. Change the a name and boom Its live.

Do I ask for c name from weebly. (they say there isnt one) Go daddy doesnt require it.

Please help.

Thank You

2. MerlinMedici

MerlinMedici

Scott,

The first thing you need is to know where your DNS is being hosted (in other words, which name servers are associated with your domain.) Sounds like possibly at GoDaddy, but you may have pushed it to Wix. The easiest way to find out is open your command prompt (press the Windows key and type CMD to have it listed as "Command Prompt". In the command prompt type the following, changing yourdomainname.com for your actual domain name:
    nslookup -q=ns www.yourdomainname.com

The "primary server" would say something like ns71.domaincontrol.com if it's GoDaddy. If it's not a domaincontrol.com server then it may be Wix. Wix does recommend you point your name servers to them so it's possible you have.

If you did point your domain to the Wix name servers then you'll want to fix that at your "registrar", the place where you bought your domain, which sounds like that is GoDaddy. Log in to GoDaddy, go into My Products and find your domain. Find Manage DNS and you will find a page that says the name servers are not hosted there and it will have a button to change them to the default. Doing so will change them to something like I mentioned earlier: ns12.domaincontrol.com. Wait about 5 minutes after doing that and then you should be able to Manage DNS again and actually create A and CNAME records with the instructions given to you by Weebly.

If your DNS is actually hosted by GoDaddy, then you'd just go to Manage DNS and change the existing A record for www from the IP at Wix to the IP at Weebly.

I don't know why you'd need a CNAME at all. A CNAME is like an alias. So you could have an A record that points www to the IP 1.2.3.4 so that www.mydomain.com goes to that IP, and then you could create a CNAME tacos to point to www so that going to tacos.mydomain.com will also point to 1.2.3.4. The advantage of a CNAME is that when you change the IP of www (in this example) then tacos gets automatically updated.

Hope that helps you resolve your issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice