1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with problems. Suspect virus.

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by fembot, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fembot

fembot Thread Starter

Hi there.

I am trying to figure out some problems that my boss is currently experiencing on his home computer. He says the problems have slowly been building up, and I suspect a virus.

First of all his Norton Anti Virus seems to be no longer functioning. He has tried to update definitions and even update his subscription online but has been unsucessful. When he tries to update the definitions gets an error message that he has missed a previous update and can't update the newest definitions without going back to download the previously missed list.

He keeps getting an error message that says that Mxtask (from Norton AV) has caused an invalid page fault in module MSVCRT.DLL

He reinstalled Windows 98 and it seems to only have made the problem worse.

He tried backing up some important files to a zip disk. After the first file he was told the disk was full. He looked at it and there were files called Mummy_0001 through _0045 on the zip. He can't remember the extention these files had but he thinks it might have been .VPS or .VSP

I've looked but can't quite find anything relating to these file names and was hoping to get some help.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Download the free virus scanner from AVG www.grisoft.com and scan it again. THis would be the place I would start and post back the findings.

3. codexaenir

codexaenir

4. titanfanof89

titanfanof89

Sounds like the klez virus....it enables your Anti-virus software. Do the online scan, there is also a utility that fixes the klez virus...I don't have the link to it on this computer but you can do a search at google and probably find it.

5. fembot

fembot Thread Starter

He tried to download AVG and couldn't on the infected computer. So he downloaded it at work and then took it home. It said there was no virus found. He tried to download the fix for Klez and it wouldn't completely download either. He also told me that his control panel was not coming up in "my computer".

He decided to reformat the hard drive since he is very good about backing things up and doesn't have to worry about anything important.

I suggested he look for bad sectors on the actual drive before he took the time to do it. I think it's possible that his hard drive might be going bad and the programs he's having problems with might be effected because of that.

6. The_Egg

The_Egg

7. fembot

fembot Thread Starter

Yes they were vbs files. I looked at the link you sent over. Thanks for providing it.

Both the Mummy virus and the Klez virus are not new. They've been around a while. My question is, why is it that his Norton AV didn't catch it? Not only did Norton not catch the virus but part of the Anti virus program itself seems to have been infected.

8. jm100dm

jm100dm

Possibly he was not up to date at the time with his virus updates. Just a thought. Or he had norton disabled when this happened for some reason.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice