1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with RAID please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by giyad, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. giyad

giyad Thread Starter

Ok, so I stupidly installed Vista Premium after setting up and getting a RAID to work. I hooked up two 1TB WD Caviars and set them up in a RAID 1 configuration. After getting it all working and serving all my media, I decided to change Vista Business to Premium. I installed the OS on a separate hard drive than the RAID, but now when I boot up the RAID doesn't show. When I go into Disk Management, the RAID shows up but "Offline." What do I do?????

When I right-click it gives me the option to change it from Dynamic to Basic, but that would wipe out all the data.... any suggestions???

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, why are you using raid? If you are using this for backup, that is going to cause you problems; raid of any type is NOT a backup plan.

Next are we working with a real raid card or are you using onboard ie motherboard raid?

It would help if you posted your exact system specs; ie make and model of mb, type of raid controller, etc, etc.

Have you attempted to reactivate the disk either from disk management or the cmd line?

3. giyad

giyad Thread Starter

I have not attempted to reactivate it from cmd line, I've never done that and don't know how.

I have a NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI motherboard and the RAID is onboard. The drives are 2x 1TB WD Caviar Blacks... Why do you say that the mirror is not a backup plan? Its duplicating everything incase one hard drive fails (which has happened to me before). Sure it doesn't protect against physical damage, cause if one were to be physically damaged the other would likely as well, but thats still better than nothing...

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What do you do for a virus, corrupted driver install, malware, accidental delete, etc? Every error is mirrored. Next what do you do when your motherboard fails? You buy a new one that does NOT have the same chipset/controller; you cannot access your raid.

That is why raid is NOT a backup plan.

With a real raid card you simply install the card into the new board and you can access your data.

As for activating it from the cmd line, do a search in help and it will give you detailed instructions.

5. giyad

giyad Thread Starter

Well I have the OS installed on a separate drive, that should help with most of those things. The drives are strictly used for storing media.

Thanks, I'll try and figure out how to activate it through cmd and I'll post back what happens.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You still have the problem a year or two or three from now when you board fails. Your current board will no longer be available. You still cannot access your data since the new board will have a different controller.

This is not a problem with a real raid card.

7. giyad

giyad Thread Starter

Ok, so I tried something because I just wanted to figure this out. I discovered something VERY weird. So I formatted the drive with the OS on it again and re-installed Business. I figured maybe Premium was causing the problems. Guess what, I can see the RAID again, access it and everything... wtf.... if you can explain this one to me you get a cookie! haha

No but seriously, I would really like to know why it won't show up in Premium but it will in Business.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice