1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hyrenfreak, May 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hyrenfreak

hyrenfreak Thread Starter

so i built a new pc recently with:
    ryzen 5 2600x
    aorus ultra gaming x470
    4x 4gb ddr4 ram corsair vengeance LPX 3000mhz
    4gb 970 geforce gtx

but even after upping to the voltage to 1.36 and setting the ram and trying to change frequency to 3000 and 3200, it wont go past 2100(although cpu z says its only using around 1k), what am i missing to change it?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING

From what I can determine from the RAM modules support list, the Corsair 4 GB DDR4-3000 modules have a native speed of DDR4-2133, so that may be at the root of your issue.

I'm not a hardware expert nor an over-clocker, so my input here is limited, so someone else here who is will need to help you further.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  3. lynx1021

lynx1021

Do you have your BIOS settings for disabled or profile 1 or 2? Are your modules XMP modules? Page 26 of manual
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) set for

Disabled Disables this function. (Default)

Profile1 Uses Profile 1 settings.

Profile2 (Note 2) Uses Profile 2 settings

4. hyrenfreak

in bios it actually only has disabled or profile 1 i have tried using both and raising the frequency and voltage but it never sticks to what i change it to, same thing with ryzen master.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you saying that the bios does not hold the setting or does the system not POST and revert to 2133?

6. hyrenfreak

ok so when i go to bios it shows current frequency for the ram in real time, which is 2100, even though its 3000, then on top of that when i go into windows and check cpuz it says its only using 1066. AMD master has the default profile set to 1066 but when i try to change it, it doesnt take and stays at 1066

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I took a look at your manual. On this board, you do not set the frequency; you set a multiplier which in turn gives you the freq you want. Is this what you are doing OR are you trying to set the memory frequency?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I never use ryzen master or xmp. I much prefer to set ram speed, timings, and voltage manually in the bios.
    I do not have a gigabyte board however I am using an asus ROG crosshair board for my ryzen 1700x. The memory settings are straightforward.

Just wondering does your board have any AUTO overclocking and if so, have you tried that?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I will be off for the rest of the night. I will check this in the morning. Good luck.

10. hyrenfreak

yes i set the mulitplier to 30.00 or 29.00 or 32.00 and nothing changed it

it does have an auto clock, but ive tried to do different ones and each time either it wont load past the motherboard screen or it has a boot failure.

11. hyrenfreak

it is stuck at 2100 even though it can go to 3000 normally, i want to try to get it to 3000 and need to know what settings to change to potentially get it up there.

specs:
    aorus ultra gaming x470
    ryzen 5 2600x
    corsair vengeance LPX x4 (4gb)
    Geforce GTX 970 4gb
    corsair bronze 750 watts
    850 evo ssd 250gb
    960 evo m.2 ssd 500gb

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice