Help With Re-Install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kingfunk

Hey i m trying to reinstall windows xp home editon onto my dell. i have been stuck on the instillation for over 12 hours without progress i can see it is still on the step that is installing the devices, the bar is 3/4 of the way, but hasn't moved in a long time and still says 33 min remaining, any suggestions.

i don't see the computer processing anything and the disk can be taken out without a response from the machine, any suggestions please would really really help

the computer is lost in space or the ozone.

turn power off, wait a minute or two atleast then turn on
and restart what you did.

DELL compuetrs can be funky and have problem installs.
Most all the lower end desktops of theirs I've seen
would act way different from other machines.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Are you using an actual Windows XP CD or a recovery/restore CD?

Do you have any printer, scanner, webcam, digital camera, etc. disconnected and just have the tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers connected?

A complete hard drive format and fresh Windows install should take less than 2 hours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe more information on why you are needing to reinstall would be helpful. Also, is there a reason this was posted in the Win9x forum. For example, did the computer have Win9x on at one time. What are the specs of the Dell, particularly processor speed and amount of memory. Last XP install I did took under 30 minutes.

kingfunk

not sure what it was i had to go through the boot menu and reboot with disk. Delete the existing partition and start over. that fixed the problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online