Help with RealVNC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aviatortrevor

Hello, I've been using VNC for about a month now, and everything has been going fine. My desktop computer has port 5900 correctly forwarding to my desktop computer. I would access my computer from my iPhone all the time, but now it doesn't work. I tried using my laptop to login into my desktop machine using RealVNC viewer, and no luck. I called my roommate and had him check and make sure the computer was on and that VNC Server was on. The only thing different is that I'm further away from home than usual. I'm about 80 miles from my home, could that have an effect on anything because of a different ISP? I wouldn't think that is possible. Maybe firewall or some settings in my router in this new location are different? I just don't know, any help?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Does your desktop computer have a static IP address? If not, it may have changed, which would make your port forward point to the wrong place.

Do you have a static public IP address (at the location of the desktop)? If not, it may have changed. If you are using a dynamic DNS service to keep track of it maybe your router or computer failed to make the requisite change notification, or maybe not all DNS servers have caught up to the change.

aviatortrevor

Ooo, yeah... it's a dynamic ip address... oops! I haven't checked it yet, but I'm betting 99% that that's the problem. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online