1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with removing pending.xml files

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Gusgus222, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gusgus222

Gusgus222 Thread Starter

I am having a horrible time with some pending.xml files. I have a friend who brought me their Compaq Presario a few days ago. The laptop was stuck in the vista update reboot loop. I removed the pending.xml file and was able to get back into vista. I was unable to install anything, until realizing that the windows installer was turned off. Started that up and everything looked potentially good, however… the windows stand alone installer tries to search for updates prior to installing anything then gets stuck. I went into the windows\winsxs file and see there are about 20 pending.xml.xxxxxxxxxx files.

I tried to remove these files and received the error that I don’t have the authority to do so. Tried to change the security of the files, no luck there. Does anyone know how I can remove these files? I read in another forum to go in and remove the AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving entry from the registry that may help. However, I don’t see this entry in the registry!

Any help would be great, keep in mind I am unable to install ANYTHING. Another user suggested an autopatch program but that program installs, and again checks for updates and finds nothing. Any time I try and run an update, or reinstall the SP1 patch Vista continuously tries to look for updates with no luck even after hours of searching. I really don’t want to reinstall vista for the simple fact that I can’t remove 20 files, but its beginning to not be that simple.

2. Sponsor

3. joeten

joeten

4. Gusgus222

Gusgus222 Thread Starter

I was able to remove the pending.xml files.

I am still unable to install anything. When I go into windows updates it contentiously loops at the checking for updates. I ran a check disk and everything ran smoothly, at least it seems that way. Programs will run through the start of an install but will freeze up actual install. When I try and go into any system processes the os, doesn't exactly freeze, but the program does not respond, and I am unable to access the start menu. When I boot up in safe mode I am able to use the pc without these issues, however since I am in safe mode I can't install any patches. I'm not sure what info would be usefull to anyone, since I'm not really sure where to start.

5. Gusgus222

Gusgus222 Thread Starter

I noticed that the consent.exe program seems to be what is locking up my os. Any suggestions on how I can shut this off for good? I tried going into the local users settings under my computer\manage however, the os locked up and the window never opened. When i went in under safe mode, the local users option isn't listed!

6. Gusgus222

Gusgus222 Thread Starter

I was able to shut off the confirmation message. I am able to install programs, horray!

I am still having frustration with windows updates not running, but at this point I am not so worried about those. If anyone has a suggestion though I would appreciate it! When I open windows updater the checking for updates status bar just continuously runs, not sure what to do there.

7. joeten

joeten

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792916