1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gundamhamtar, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gundamhamtar

gundamhamtar Thread Starter

i recently just changed a router(netgear mr814v2) and its been decreasing my download speed by a lot. even if i d/l from local sites i get 3-4k instead of the 400k+ i got most of the time. and now i cant recieve files from my icq friends, even though i can send them. can anyone help?

2. jtatsud

jtatsud

You don't specify how you are connected to the router - wired or wireless? If you are wireless, is it possible to test via a wired connection?

Also, make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. It is available at the following URL:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products_automatic/MR814v2.asp

After you install the firmware, make sure you reboot the modem and the router.

3. gundamhamtar

gundamhamtar Thread Starter

i'm using a wired conncection. and what effect will upgrading the firmware have on the router? will it allow my port forwarding to work? and it says to copy all settings down as everything will be reseted. does that include my password for connecting to the net? cause i have to search for my password -_-

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice