1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with sata and ide hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kzpl14, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kzpl14

kzpl14 Thread Starter

I have a sata 250gb hard drive and a ide 80 gb hard drive. I heard that in sata there is no master or slave. So what do u do with the jumpers on the sata drive, Do you just take them off or what? I want to have a partition on the sata 125 and 125 and have my windows on it. My questions is how do i set sata so that my pc boots from it and the ide is set to slave as a storage drive. Also my bios does not recognize the sata it only shows the ide being as master and nothing as being slave. idk how to set this up.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The jumper on the SATA drive is probably to force compatibility mode, i.e., set the drive to 150MB/sec speed vs 300MB/sec speed, as some older controllers won't work with the faster drives. Info on the jumpers should be printed on the label, or in the documentation that comes with the drive.

If your BIOS doesn't see the drive, it may need the drive jumpered for 150MB/sec mode, or it could be the SATA controller has been disabled. You'll need to search through the BIOS to find the settings for the SATA controller. There should also be some way to specify the SATA drive as the first boot drive vs the IDE, but that may not be visible until the BIOS can see the drive.

Jumpers on the IDE drive don't need to be changed. The Master/Slave settings only refer to how the controller refers to the two drives that it controls, not whether SATA or IDE is first boot device.

If you want to install anything earlier than Vista onto the SATA drive, you'll need to provide SATA drivers during the install via a floppy drive, or create your own install CD with the drivers slipstreamed onto the CD. The drivers should be on the Motherboard driver disk, or can be downloaded from the MB/PC manufacturers web site. Note that some motherboards have a BIOS setting that puts the SATA controllers into an IDE compatibility mode, so that Windows setup can recognize the drive without separate drivers.

If you don't have a floppy, this article is a good reference: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml
    or just search google for install Windows XP on SATA

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/719732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice