1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with shut down/restart

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by funkadelik, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. funkadelik

funkadelik Thread Starter

i have a problem.. i cant shut down/restart without telling the computer to do it TWICE.... the first time, it seems like all the applications are shutting down, but does about half the job. Some apps are still up. The second time it shuts down/restarts... any way i can fix this annoying problem?

PS i have windows XP fully updated from windows update.com and its an Emachines T2080.........

2. Pancake

Pancake

See if this is of help.Remember to backup the registry first.

Change the timeout value used by Windows XP for shutting down Services. You will need to use the Registry Editor to do this. Click on the Start button, select the Run entry, type in REGEDIT and click OK. In the left pane of the Windows Explorer-like Regedit window, navigate down to this "folder":

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control.

Click on the Control "folder" and one of the entries in the right pane of the window will be called "WaitToKillServiceTimeout". The default value is 20000, and that allows that many milliseconds for the timeout to occur, which amounts to 20 seconds! Right click on this value and select Modify in order to set it to a lower value. ( I set it to 2000, which allows 2 seconds for the timeout, and that has not caused me any problems.) Then exit Regedit

3. funkadelik

i shall try thanx pancake.......mmmmmm u make me hungry...... :eek:

4. funkadelik

wait... that worked the first time.. then it was the same old thing.. anymore suggestions /:)

5. mobo

mobo

It may be an issue with a particular application that is running. Go to start / run / msinfo32/ software environment / startup programs / edit / select all / edit / copy then paste that info here in a response.

6. funkadelik

2wSysTray c:\program files\2wire\2portalmon.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Ad-watch c:\program files\lavasoft\ad-aware 6\ad-watch.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Advanced Tools Check c:\progra~1\norton~1\advtools\advchk.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    BJCFD c:\program files\broadjump\client foundation\cfd.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    IPInSightLAN 01 "c:\program files\visual networks\visual ip insight\sbc\ipclient.exe" -l All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    IPInSightMonitor 01 "c:\program files\visual networks\visual ip insight\sbc\ipmon32.exe" All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Microsoft Works Update Detection c:\program files\microsoft works\wkdetect.exe HYPNO\Angel HKU\S-1-5-21-3410288154-3585186845-1726409691-1005\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    NeroCheck c:\windows\system32\nerocheck.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    QuickTime Task "c:\program files\quicktime\qttask.exe" -atboottime All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    RoxioAudioCentral "c:\program files\roxio\easy cd creator 6\audiocentral\rxmon.exe" All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Yahoo! Pager c:\program files\yahoo!\messenger\ypager.exe -quiet HYPNO\Angel HKU\S-1-5-21-3410288154-3585186845-1726409691-1005\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ccApp "c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\ccapp.exe" All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ccRegVfy "c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\ccregvfy.exe" All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    desktop desktop.ini NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Startup
    desktop desktop.ini HYPNO\Angel Startup
    desktop desktop.ini .DEFAULT Startup
    desktop desktop.ini All Users Common Startup

7. mobo

mobo

You can go to start / run / msconfig/ startup tab and uncheck the entry for each of these , reboot and see if anything changes on the next reboot.

Adaware
    Broadjump client foundation
    visual networks - ipclient.exe
    ipmon32.exe
    microsoft works\wkdetect.exe
    quicktime\qttask.exe
    nerocheck.exe
    easy cd creator 6\audiocentral\rxmon.exe
    yahoo!\messenger\ypager.exe

8. funkadelik

nah.. that worked once and never did again... any more suggestions ? PLS...

9. rude

rude

10. funkadelik

ok.. ill try that

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice