1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with slow network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by daverose808, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daverose808

daverose808 Thread Starter

Hi.

I have XP Pro SP2, pretty fresh re-install.
    I have a home network, 802.11b D-Link wireless router.
    My laptop, which connects wirelessly to that router can get on the internet with excellent broadband speeds and can connect wirelessly to the home desktop pc that is wired to the router at mediocre speeds.

My problem is that when i am saving a Word document, and click the top SAVE IN drop-down box, it takes a very long time before the box drops to display the different available folders.

I once read that this is often a problem related to the network. Where, the computer is trying to see all the network connections first, or something like that. I also have a pretty slow XP start up time, which is probably similarly related.

Would someone please advise me on how to check my network connections, to make sure everything is set up right?

I see options like "bridge connections" and other various options, but i dont want to try anything without consulting you guys first!

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

No you don't want to bridge connections.... bridging is only used in VERY specific cases and won't resolve anythign with a long delay in a drop down box.

The first thing I would do is make sure you don't have mapped drives that you are not using and are not connectied to anything. You don't mention if you have a network and use file sharing so I'll assume you don't. If you do this could potentially be a problem. Please tell us if you do and if this is a domain or workgroup setup.

Another thing I have found is on SOME laptops that don't have A:'s installed you get the same symptom and when you install a USB A: onto the laptop the drop down comes down a ton faster. This is because some laptops have an attempt to access the A: but since its not installed it pauses thinking about it not being available. This however would not explain the slow startup (if they are related because slow startup could be due to malware, spyware, and other things). So my next question is does your PC have an internal A: or is it not there?

Have you done all the scans on the PC like Ad-Aware, Spybot, Antivirus, Ewido and whatnot?

3. daverose808

im not sure what u mean by file sharing. but, i set up the home network as a "workgroup". I do transfer files from the wired pc to my laptop wirelessly thru this workgroup network, back and forth.

i dont know how to check for mapped drives or understand what they are, but that sounds like something i would want to look into if you could help.

i dont have an A: drive installed. When i (rarely) plug in my USB floppy drive, it gets the A: designation.

i am running AVG anti-virus, updated, and automatically checks for viruses every day. nothing shows up bad.

i have also recently run Spybot.

my guess is that it is network related and not malware related. here is why: i had not experienced the slow drop down problem until i made some changes to my network. basically, my wife's laptop was able to get on the internet thru the wireless workgroup network, but couldnt access my home pc's files. so someone told me to do a bunch of things in the home pc's "Users" function, and it got it to work. Even tho my laptop was connecting fine at the time, i remember we did the same thing for my laptop, in the home pc.

i wasnt happy about the change, even before i noticed the slow down. First, before the change, pressing ctrl-alt-dlt on the home pc would give me the task manager automatically. Now, when i press ctl-alt-delete i get another box first, which has a Task Manager button. Not a big deal, but i didnt like that i couldnt just have everything the way it was, but with my wife's laptop connecting like mine did.

Then i noticed the drop box slowdown, and here we are. Hopefully, the above symptoms will seem familiar!

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Mapped drives are icons in My Computer that show under Network drives and usually have a small line underneath them with a yellow box that has another line up to the drive (indicating its on a network). It should actually read network drives.

As far as the task manager problem this is because you disabled the welcome screen in the User portion. You can enable it though I find its easier to right click on a blank part of the Start menu bar (where the application windows lie) and pick task manager from the options there.

When you connect an A: does it speed up? just do a quick speed test and let me know.

5. daverose808

its been so long since i last needed it that i gave it away and dont have anyother device to get the A: designation.

as for the welcome screen, i disabled it because i didnt like that every time the screensaver came on and then off, i had to click my username. i didnt need to do that before i connected my wife's laptop wirelessly. still dont understand why i was able to get my own laptop on the network right without having to fuss around with "Users" on the home pc...

as for mapped drives visible in My Computer, i have a disconnected one, apparently, that is only used during finals, when i take my exam on my laptop... i have attached a pic, so u can see what i am talking about... there appears to be no other mapped drives.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Yep with that disabled you can't get the task manager the way your used to sorry.

No pickture came through but since you have the information in front of you I.E. drive letter and what the sharename is (you want to keep it when you have to reconnect it wherever) then try deleting that out rebooting the PC and then trying the same saving function again.

7. daverose808

in My Computer, under Network Drives, it has:

---

Fall_05 on 'secureexam' (X:) Disconnected Network Drive

---

its the only thing there... it doesnt have my home network there. just the one i will use at the end of this semester. since i will need it, i cant just delete it...

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

And is secureexam on your internal network? Or is this some other netwokr you hook up to to work? I can bet if you have a disconnected drive it may pause trying to reconnect the drive that isn't connected.

I still recommend following what i say and remove it (keeping the info) and see if the pause leaves.

9. daverose808

i guess maybe i dont understand what to do, since u say "keeping the info" and i dont know how to do that...

its basically part of the network in my school. when i am in school i am connected wirelessly to the school's network. then, at the end of the semester, when i take finals on my laptop, i go to that drive and save my work there...

10. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

What I am saying is this.....

If you delete this share you CAN'T recreate it until you get back on the school network. This CAN be causing a problem when doing a search on directories as you don't have this share on your current network and it can be polling the network to try and find htis disconnected drive and connect it.

You need to 1) disconnect this drive and see if it fixes the problem 2) Keep the information (know its your X drive and the share is \\secureexam\Fall_05) so when you go back to school you can remap it as it should.

You didn't mention your jumping 2 networks (your school and home) which can EASILY cause issues.

This share may not be the problem causing the slowness but it easily can be the provlem as well.

11. daverose808

i basically get it now, thank you.

i guess i was also confused about disconnecting it when it already said "disconnected network drive".

i better wait until after finals are over bc im graduating this semester, just in case i have trouble in the end. i could deal with the slowness now that i know that this might be the solution.

i was just so convinced it had something to do with the changes i made to my home network. i felt like maybe bc i was connecting fine, and then made changes, i had created two connections, with the second one being unnecessary, causing the slowdown. but since u didnt mention anything with that part of the story, i guess it was unrelated after all.

thanks for all your time and help!

12. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

That could be a possibily but I always go from easiest to hardest when troubleshooting. Normally a drop down box being slow to save isn't related to actual network problems overall and since the other computer isn't have this problem I am assuming its somethign to do with yours being on 2 networks and have a disconnected drive that may be trying to connect.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/440947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice