1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with SMTP Service on Windows Server 2003

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Bdogle, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bdogle

Bdogle Thread Starter

Hello All,

I currently have a server running Windows Server 2003 and an Avaya IP Office phone system.

This phone system is capable of sending out emails when a voice mail is left on an employees extension. I believe it requires an SMTP service to be running on the server. I have this service installed and running, but I am unsure the correct setting. I use Google Apps for our email services.

Thanks in advance, hopefully someone has some ideas for me!

2. Rockn

Rockn

All you have to do is point it to your Exchange IP address. You may have to add it to the SMTP service as an authorized relay source.

3. Bdogle

Bdogle Thread Starter

Could you give me some more detail on this, I am pretty lost at this point.

4. Rockn

Rockn

I am not sure what phone system you are using or it's settings. If you have Exchange server it is already an SMTP server, if you do not know how to manage the Exchange server or make changes I would contact someone to help you.

5. Bdogle

Bdogle Thread Starter

I am just referring to the settings for the SMTP service that runs on the server. I think have the phone system figured out.

6. Rockn

Rockn

Open system manager > expand servers > expand the server name > protocols > SMTP > right click the SMTP virtual server and select properties. On the Access tab click relay and add the IP address of your phone system.

7. Bdogle

Bdogle Thread Starter

Alright, got the IP address entered in that field.

I have attached an image of an area where I think i need to enter in some information.
    The Advanced area of the Delivery tab.

Can you help me with these settings?

Attached Files:

8. Rockn

Rockn

There is nothing to do in there. A smart host is a host external to your organization that holds and sends emails to your domain. The only thing you need to set up is on the Access tab.

9. Bdogle

Bdogle Thread Starter

Would Gmail not be an external host?

10. Rockn

Rockn

If you do not know what you are doing in there do not arbitrarily go around making changes. All you should need is the relay ability, no smart hosts or anything else. Read the phone system documentation for Exchange server integration/

11. Bdogle

Bdogle Thread Starter

So I guess that is a no, to Gmail is not an external host?

There are no setting for me to arbitrarily change since I have just installed the SMTP service.

Thanks for your help.

12. Rockn

Rockn

The SMTP service should already be there on Exchange without having to add it unless you were using LDAP or POP.

13. Bdogle

Bdogle Thread Starter

Got it working! Thanks so much for the help.

14. Rockn

Rockn

No problem. Was it just a configuration on the phone system?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice