1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Sony vaio windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Eric15, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eric15

Eric15 Thread Starter

It gets to starting windows and stops I can't get to my desktop

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and then trying a System Restore to a previous point in time?

3. Eric15

Eric15 Thread Starter

It won't let me into safe mode

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Walk through the process of what you attempt. You power up the machine, mash the F8 button to get to the options screen, and then what happens from there?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I saw no point to your poll so deleted it.

6. Eric15

Eric15 Thread Starter

I power up and press f8 key and I see all the options so I press safe mode and I get a black screen that says please wait at the bottom and it never goes into safe mode

7. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

I know I may be treading in unfamiliar territory for you, but are you familiar with the concept of a Linux Live distro, being run from either a CD or a flash drive? The reason I'm asking is that in such cases, if nothing else works, I can load a Linux distro, use it to pull important files from a drive, and then do a complete re-install. However, I don't want to bombard you with information if it's not what you're looking to achieve.

8. Eric15

Eric15 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. What can Linux do and will it delete anything and I have another computer I can maybe download it to a USB drive and use it on the infected computer can you give me the steps maybe even a link to download it thanks

9. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You're welcome, Eric.

It'll take more time than I have at the moment to produce a rounded-out procedure for you, but I'm happy to do that; either later today or sometime over the weekend. Perhaps we can combine the process into scanning the drive outside Windows for viruses, and also rescuing any personal data.

10. Eric15

Eric15 Thread Starter

Thanks really appreciate it I don't need to save personal data I don't need the data on this computer

11. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Eric,

If you don't need any personal data, shall we look at the option for restoring the disk to factory settings? If so, I understand the way to initialise this is to have the machine turned off and when you turn it on, mash the F10 key until it brings up the restore menu, and then work from there.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1158031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice