1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with soundblaster 16 pci on win98

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stabotron, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stabotron

stabotron Thread Starter

i just installed my second soundblaster 16 pci and my problem remains. when i listen to mp3's and even the background music in games seems to play perfect, but anytime theres a voice in the games or if i watch a movie theres static in the sound. i have a pentium 4 1.3 or 4 ghz with 264 meg of ram. im semi-competent on a pc so i regularly go through start up and the runonce folders to keep alot of junk from running in the background. ive got the latest drivers, after i tried with the supplied drivers. thanks in advance for any help.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I have used the 16PCI for years. The one thing to remember is that it is a very low end card although a good one. You may not be able toget rid of the static on the voice in games and such. I was never able to.
    A side note to you, if someone advises you to increase your ram to help with this problem, do not do it. Win 98 is actually optimized to run with a maximum of 256Mb ram. And you are already just a tiny bit past that. increasing your ram past where you are can and probably will cause instability problems.

As a thought I just had, what kind of speakers are you using? They may not be very good with spoken voice type sounds.

3. stabotron

stabotron Thread Starter

im going into a home stereo receviver, my last celeron-type p3 500 had onboard sound(compaq) and it never had a problem, surely the soundblaster is better than compaqs onboard audio.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice