1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Spyware Crap!!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by WigsTheGreat, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WigsTheGreat

WigsTheGreat Thread Starter

all the sudden this thing downloaded onto my computer that keeps coming up in the tool bar next to the clock it keeps coming up saying my computer is infected...then is says dangerious malware infction was detected on your pc. then when i click on it brings up a website for spyaxe...telling me to download it...and it is messing up my computer...and if i just click the X on the popup it keeps coming up..and it wont let me go to my homepage either it takes me to this other site for these spyware removers!! help

2. blake212

blake212

WigsTheGreat,
    The program that was downloaded onto your PC is more than likely spyware. Do you use any spyware removal utilities? If not, I recommend Spybot Search and Destroy from
    www.spybot.info

Also, if the popup window continues to pop up, try pressing alt f4 rather than clicking the X. This keystroke will close any open window.
    Blake

3. WigsTheGreat

WigsTheGreat Thread Starter

yeah it still didnt help ...it still does it

4. letchworth

letchworth

You definately have a problem--- and don't download anything they suggest---- your problems will just get worse.

Here is a website that I constantly refer to-- The guy who put it up is an IT guy from Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT).

It lists mostly free program recommendations--- but more than recommendations, it is a philosophy of computer security--- and a step-by-step "dancing" you through the process.

I use it- I swear by it- and I recommend it.
    letchworth

5. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

What do you mean don't download anything we suggest?

With a SpyAxe infection, we need to see a Hijack This log.

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTSetup.exe
    Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.

Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

6. chaos4001

chaos4001

He means dont download what the spyware program tells him to.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Great website link ;)

I'm going to await a reasonable reply from you seeing how you have been around here longer than a day.......

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Website link? I see no website link. :rolleyes:

9. letchworth

letchworth

Sorry---- I guess I was "on a roll....."
    Here it is:
    http://securitytango.com/

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

The link is being reviewed now.

In any event, your post was confusing, as people post here to get 'hand on' help instead of being directed to another website ;)

Just a thought.

11. letchworth

letchworth

Chaos4001 is right---- "Don't download anything the spyware program tells you to."

Sorry, folks-- I thought I was awake when I wrote the original--- but, obviously not completely awake (else I would have included the link the first time).

I return to this site because I do trust so much of what I read here-- and have learned a lot in the process.

Thanks for your patience------
    letchworth

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm not impressed with the guy's attitude. I think I'll listen to people that are going to solve problems for all users, not try to cram his choice of a browser down my throat. :rolleyes: I believe he's off my recommendation list. ;)

13. chaos4001

chaos4001

Be that as it may, some of what he says about IE is true. It's a much bigger target for malware writers.

14. MediasWayne

MediasWayne

Trying downloading Microsoft Antispyware or going to trendmicro.com and doing a free virus and spyware scan. If you can't access webpages because of the spyware, try installing MS antispyware from a Jump drive and then run the scan.

15. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice