1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with static ip address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by maree464, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maree464

maree464 Thread Starter

Could someone help me set up my static ip address? I am following the directions right and when I check the port it says port does not seem to be open.

I will send pics of what I do have and any help would be greatly appriciated.............

I am using a Netgear WPN824v2 router and I do have Vista.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Curious: Since your router has built-in DHCP, why are you using static IP addresses? I'm especially curious since you have your router set to issue IP addresses automatically?

Courtney

3. maree464

maree464 Thread Starter

I am trying to open a port for my son to play an online game.......I just don't know how to set an static ip that seems to work......when I check it always says the port is not open.........

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The static IP should be 192.168.1.x, where x is outside the address range of the router's Dhcp server. Your first pic indicates that the "safe" range may be 101 through 254.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, the DHCP server range covers the entire valid range in that picture, so that needs to be adjusted. :)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My bad. The 2nd picture shows what John said and I completely missed it. Change the 254 to 100 and then you can use 101 through 254 for static. :)

7. maree464

maree464 Thread Starter

Thanks....I am gonna try that...

8. maree464

maree464 Thread Starter

I did try that and it still is not opening the port....is there a way the modem could be stopping it? It is a new modem through comast....Now that I think of it that is when my problem started....the port used to be open.

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You still need to forward the port. You haven't told us what game he is playing or what port you need opened. Do you know where in your router to set the port forwarding.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't think you've yet told us whether the port is not open on the router--see Squashman's post--or on the PC. You may have to open the port(s) on the PC's firewall.

11. maree464

maree464 Thread Starter

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I skimmed right over that question yesterday. :( A modem won't be stopping it. But a modem/router combo would be! Brand and model, please.

13. maree464

maree464 Thread Starter

Comcast Motorola SBV5220

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That unit does not appear to include a router function. If you want to make absolutely sure, check the WAN (or Internet) status of your router and make sure it is getting a public IP address. If you need our help in determining public/private, please tell us at least the first two numbers in the IP address.

15. maree464

maree464 Thread Starter

Do the pictures above show that? In the router settngs it says my internet port ip address starts with a 68 and my lan port ip address starts with 192... Once I set up my static ip address using portforward.com insturctions and then test to see if port is open it says port is not open on ip address 68.^^^^^^^ even though my static address starts should and does start with 192 when I follow their directions.....Their directions do not have me go into my settings of my router at all...the link to the instructions are a couple posts up....I really appriciate your help....I have posted on a few other sites and have recieved know replies....Thanks so much for your input.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/743907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice