1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with the usb dilemma

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mkvenner01, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mkvenner01

mkvenner01 Thread Starter

I currently have a 1gb usb key for my university work but all has gone wrong

Yesterday i saved 3 major essays to it, and as i went to back them up at home the usb key doesnt work any more

Plugged it in and it would not even light up, after hours of trying it finally gave in and was found by my pc

But now it is saying there is only 8mb on the actual key? None of my previous files are there and its asking me to format

What do i do? And will i be able to rescue my files without spending a fortune on a data recovery service if they can do anything at all.

I need the pieces quickly and so am desperately seeking help

Thanks

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. mkvenner01

Thanks for the help but the problem still persists

When i scan it reads only the 8mb of data not the whole 1gb and so cant find my lost or corrupted files

Do i need to format the disk to open the patition to 1gb?

thanks

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Don't format or do anything else that writes to the disk if you don't want your files overwritten.

Try recovery with PhotoRec.

5. mkvenner01

Tried this as well but nothing that i do to recover it will find anything other then the partition thats now 8mb

There isn't another drive/area to select or search on.

Should i take it some where to be done? Has anyone had this problem before?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Unfortunately, those drives have a short life and unlike mechanical drives, the files may not be sitting there awaiting recovery. They may really be gone. Was the device removed without using "Safely Remove" by any chance?

You could try a tool like:
    Testdisk (for Windows)
    Testdisk Boot Floppy Image
    Testdisk on Live CD
    to see if you can restore the partition. It only restores the partition table, so your files, if present, will not be damaged by your attempts. Have Testdisk scan and see if it finds a partition that is the correct size (maybe 960 or so MB's). If it does, have it write that found partition to the disk.

If you get to the point that you have written a partition table, then remove the drive (safely) and re-insert it so that Windows can redetect the partition and deal with it properly after its size has changed.

Yes, millions have had this problem before. That is why backups are suggested for all files. If you don't have at least 2 backups, you must not want to keep the files.

7. mkvenner01

Thanks for all the help but i think its not going to work any time soon.

Did the testdisk scan but it still only found 8mb, if selected with vista it found 16mb but it still asked to be formatted. Not sure why but its just not my day.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice