1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with upgrading my computer.

Discussion in 'Games' started by mike685436, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike685436

mike685436 Thread Starter

here are my specs
    Windows 7 Professional x86
    Directx 11
    Amd athlon 64 3200+
    gtx 460 card
    3.00 GB RAM
    Motherboard-tried everything to find out what it is but for some strange reason doesn't show up on system information. its about 6 years old though.

Iv'e recently been looking to upgrade my processor and motherboard to help with better FPS in my games. i can run most games on high settings but i get a good bit of lagging. i wish to spend less then $300 worth of money on a good processor and motherboard thats strictly meant for gaming. any suggestions as to what i should get?
    ------------I ask cause i have very little knowledge about processors and motherboards.

any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

2. ajkane

ajkane

I can't tell you what processors you can get without your MB info, tell me the model number of your PC and any upgrades you have done (I am assuming the Nvidia GPU didn't come with your computer).

3. mike685436

after opening my computer up i found out what it was

Motherboard: ASUStek A8n-E

4. GripS

GripS

You've definitely gotten a lot of use out of your existing system. It's ancient.

You're better off waiting until you can spend more than $300 before you upgrade. You're gonna need a CPU, MOBO, RAM and possibly a new power supply depending on what you are running right now. A quad core AMD or Intel CPU should be the minimum. Your video card is decent and you'll probably notice better performance from it with a better CPU and RAM. Get 8gb's of RAM (Very cheap nowadays). AMD chips are significantly cheaper than Intel (at a performance cost of course) but a new quad AMD chip will be night and day better than your 3200+.

5. mike685436

thank you very much for your help ill look into that

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice