1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help With Upgrading My Computer!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by santini2010, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. santini2010

santini2010 Thread Starter

Hello,

i am wondering if any one can help me,
    i am looking at upgrading my computer i currently have:

EDC G31T - Motherboard
    Intel Dual Core E3200 CPU
    2GB DDR2 800MHZ memory
    Radeon HD 3450 256mb with 1 gb hypermemory

i brought this in a bundle for around £100
    now i have seen another bundle and am wondering whether or not this one will make a difference

PC Upgrade kit with CPU, Board, Graphics
    AMD Phenom™ 8750 X3 Triple Core CPU
    XFX ATI Radeon HD4650 1GB O/C Graphics Card
    Sapphire RS740G2 ATI motherboard with performance cooling fan
    AMD 740G + SB600 Chipset
    320 Stream Processors
    PCI Express 2.0
    DirectX 10.1 Support
    ATI PowerPlay™ Technology
    6 Channel Integrated High Definition audio
    10/100 Ethernet for fast networking and broadband
    2 x DDR II Dimm slots supporting up to 8GB memory 1066/800/667/533 Dual Channel
    Expansion slots: 1 x PCI-E X16, 2 x PCI, 1 x PCI-EX1 slots
    4 x SATA II RAID, 4 x USB 2.0
    Includes Call of Duty Modern Warfare Game

This is currently going for £129
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/triple-core-amd-phenom-8750-x3-board-bundle--ati-hd4650-1gb-503502

Will this make a difference to my current PC and is it a good deal????
    Thankyou for any replys.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

That new set of kit should definately give you a performance increase over your current setup, however there are things that you must look at / consider.

1) Exactly what make and model power supply are you going to use? Your current one may not be up to the job.
    2) That board only supports DDR2 RAM, it would be better to look for a DDR3 board for future proofing a bit more.
    3) Its a MicroATX board, ensure your current case can support it.

3. santini2010

santini2010 Thread Starter

thankyou for replying
    and i currently have a 650 watt power supply and i have the 2 gb ddr2 ram in my current computer so i could just move it over to the new computer right? and yes my case does support that type of board.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    OK, the 650w should be OK wattage wise, but things to consider are: How old is it and what make is it? PSU outputs reduce with age and if it isn't a decent brand make it probably never actually outputted the figures it states, as they are taken from 'ideal test conditions' which just don't exist in normal use.

Yes, you should be able to transfer your existing 2Gb DDR2 RAM to that new board, only suggested the upgrade as DDR2 is becoming less and less common with DDR3 being pretty much the standard now.

At the end of the day, you shouldn't have any real problems (I don't think) upgrading to that new setup. I assume you have your own, licensed copy of Windows 7 (not one that came with a pre-built PC)? I would recommend doing a complete format and re-install of windows on once you get it setup with the new hardware. Make sure you backup anything you want before dismantling the old system so you can transfer any personal data across.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/979772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice