1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with upgrading processor in laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scalco2u, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scalco2u

scalco2u Thread Starter

I have a compaq presario 2175us laptop. The original processor was a xp-m 2400 and burned up. I brought it to a repair shop and got overcharged for a used xp-m 1500 that is much slower. I recently purchased another xp-m 2400 to replace the original one that was in there. After disassembling the laptop, I noticed the processor does not have the arm that typically holds the processor in place. The processor that was added to the system cannot be removed and I am trying to found out if there is a way to remove it. The socket has a small spot on either side and one shows a lock with two arrows pointing towards the processor. The opposite side has a lock that is unlocked with two arrows pointing towards the processor. I am not sure if there is a way to remove the old processor, but I have tried using small screwdriver, but it did nothing when I inserted it into the side that said unlock and tried to unlock it. Thank you for your help.

Tony

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Once you unlock the processor by turning the mechansim you just need to lift it up to remove it.

4. scalco2u

scalco2u Thread Starter

I tried doing that, but when I inserted it and turned it, it did not release the processor.

5. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

The CPU may be held in place by the pins, check for any small metal bars/strips above the slot (or on it).

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Are you sure you're turning it all the way?

7. scalco2u

scalco2u Thread Starter

there are no bars or strips there either

8. scalco2u

scalco2u Thread Starter

it is just a piece of the socket that is plastic, when I tried turning it inside the slot that is there, the plastic started to bend, so i stopped putting pressure on it

9. scalco2u

scalco2u Thread Starter

I contacted compaq and they sent me a video for replacement, but the video shows a locking screw that is not used on my motherboard

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

Can you post a picture of yours?

11. scalco2u

scalco2u Thread Starter

if you give me a little while. I am not right home now.

12. scalco2u

scalco2u Thread Starter

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

14. scalco2u

scalco2u Thread Starter

thanks for your help.. I think the company that I got it fixed at may have broken it when they installed the processor.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

I'd check with them to see how they did it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/635308