1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with upgrading sisters old computer, please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chum, Jun 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

She has an old one, with windows 95. (no Win95 disk).
    She wants to add a CDrom. I have one to give her(an older 8x Teac). Can I install this and have it working with no floppy
    for installation? Can I copy some generic drivers from my system or Win98 disk to make it work? (obviously I'm using Win98). Or, can I download something to install this CDrom? Or, will her existing OS have what's needed? I know nothing about Windows95, except, that it is similar to 98.

2. Sponsor

3. swwelsh

swwelsh

As long as the master/slave jumper on the cdrom is set correctly, you should be able to just plug it in and Win95 will find it and load its drivers. Usually the problem is that people with win95 need access to the win95 cdrom to do an install, and if windows doesn't load, the cdrom doesnt work unless the dos drivers have been loaded. If you need access to the cdrom without win95 loaded (to install a new hard disk or something) you can use a win98 boot disk. It should load the cdrom and you can transfer the win95 files or whatever you need to the hard drive and install from there.

4. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Tried and failed! How do I get into Bios for this computer? I connected the CD to the ribbon cable that was connected to the hard drive. This computer has no secondary IDE. I get this message during post:
    CD-ROM device driverfor IDE(4 channles)
    No drives found, aborting installation

Can I fix this problem by detecing in BIOS--how do I get into Bios. Tried pressing DEL, F1,Alt-F1--no help.
    (cdrom is jumpered as slave...I see no jumper settings on the hard drive.)

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi chum, what brand computer do you have? Getting into bios varies, as you probably know.....Compaq F 10, older Dells, CTRL-ALT-ENT, newer Dells and Gateways, F 2....and there are others......

Also, on this older computer, the hard drive jumpers might be underneath the drive, instead of on the back....but I would assume since there was no cd in the system to start with, it would be mastered.....but, you know what assumptions do......

6. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Thanks! It's a Compaq 486. I think the hard drive is mastered, because I also tried mastering the CD and received an error message on post (something like: general drive error). I did not try F 10. I'll try that next time.
    I thought that during post I would see something explaining how to get into setup(bios), but I guess all models are different.

7. brianF

brianF

Press F10 when square in top RH corner of screen= (Compaq).

8. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Thanks, brianF! Do you think the reason for my problems is the fact that I did not use bios to auto detect this drive?

9. brianF

brianF

Set the cdrom as slave on the cable, enter bios and set the secondary primary to cdrom or autodetect, whichever is available, let us know what happens. Shouldn't need real mode drivers

10. brianF

brianF

11. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes, but it will be next weekend before I'm back there.

12. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Got there today to check the Bios. There are no options (under secondary- primary) for CDrom or auto. Only these options:
    Drive type....(select a number)
    # of cylinders (select a number)
    # of heads (select a number)
    # of sectors (select a number)
    max Ecc. ?
    Does this mean the Bios will not support the CDrom?

Also, I talked to a techie friend he said I may need to add some lines to config.sys and autoexec.bat files to make the CDrom work. I noticed that the Autoexec.bat file has the MSCDex.exe line "remarked out". I could not find an editable Config.sys file. Any additional help will be greatly appreciated!

13. brianF

brianF

hmmmm you may need to download those drivers after all, your going to need to get the model number off the drive to get the correct drivers I am afraid. They should fit on a floppy and be installed from the dos prompt.

14. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Oh no! Dos! I know how to get to the command prompt...but from there, I would be lost. Can you give me exact things I would have to type, if it's not too much trouble. I have all week. She's in no hurry. Thanks! I'll get the model numbers off of the drive, and download the drivers to a floppy.

15. brianF

brianF

shouldn't be much, either setup or install from the a prompt :)

16. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Ok. After I'm at C;\..do I just type A;\setup(install) or do I change to (A prompt) someway first? Told you I don't know DOS.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/46686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice