1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with upgrading to xp ran into problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by frobro, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frobro

frobro Thread Starter

i upgraded from 98 to xp...i have an onboard soundcard and it isnt detecting it, i went to the bios and it has it on auto detect, also i dont know what kind of soundcard it is so i cant download drivers. Im also using a radeon and when i go to install the drivers, it keeps coming up with the error "error installing ikernal.exe: the specified network name is no longer available." Any help with the sound card and video card would be appreciated...thanks..

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you do not know the manufacturer of your motherboard, you can download the advisor at Belarc.com to see if it can detect it . . then you can go to the manufacturers website and download the drivers ( probably should start with the chipset drivers if they are offered for XP )

wrs

3. frobro

frobro Thread Starter

belarc doesnt even detect it T T

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

what brand is the pc? . . can you open the case and look for a Brand on the Board?

wrs

5. frobro

frobro Thread Starter

its a vt8235, from via technologies, i bought the motherboard over ebar, it was a barbones came with onboard sound and video..

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!