1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with upgrading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UnsettledBrute, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UnsettledBrute

UnsettledBrute Thread Starter

I am looking to upgrade my video card and maybe completely replacing my RAM because it is oddly matched. My mother board is an Asustek M2NBP-VM CSM. Is it worth buying expensive ram and a video card for? Or should i just buy a new motherboard and start from there? I was thinking about buying a radeon HD 4870 and if i were to replace my RAM i would get OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800). Im not sure if i should replace my RAM at the moment, the RAM is not what is bottle necking my CPU im pretty sure it's my video card. So let me know what would be best, thanks.

My pc specs are as follows:

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 1mbx2 3.0 GHz
    Mobo - ASUS M2NBP-VM CSM NVIDIA chipset
    Memory - 2x 512 MBytes 333MHz DDR2 1x 2 GB 400 MHz DDR2
    Video card - Radeon HD 4350 PCI Express 2.0 x16, Core clock oced to 680 MHz, memory clock oced to 500 MHz GDDR2
    Power Supply - 300W (+3.3v & +5v=120W max)
    + 3.3v==== 20.0A(ORG),+5v===20.0A(RED),+12v1===8.0A(YEL)
    +12v2===14.0A(YEL,BLACK),+5Vsb===2.0A(PURP),-12V===0.8A(BLUE)

The manufacturer is FSP Group Inc. Model number is ATX-300TA

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

For gaming?

A New PSU and video card would be a good start, a 5xx0 card from ATI would be an improvement and cost can go fairly low or high depending on budget.

RAM would benefit fromgetting a second 2GB stick to match the one you have now, and scrap the 2x 512MBs

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The weakest point is definitely the video card but the CPU isn't by any means high performer either.

A Radeon 5xxx series card as mentioned above would be a wiser purchase. A 5770 costs about the same as the 4870 and offers similar performance, tad lower I think, but its the newest generation and supports Dx11, uses less power and has more potential to improve performance with newer drivers.

You power supply needs to be upgraded too. A 300 watt power supply with 22 Amps over two rails isn't going to handle any mid to range graphics cards.

You can't use DDR3, you'd need a new motherboard for that. Your current 3GB's is fine for the setup you have. Replacing it while keeping everything else wouldn't make sense.

So its either upgrade your video card and PSU or the whole system - which those two components can be re-used on a new system anyway.

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I'd say if you are looking at swapping the CPU, you might as well start looking at motherboards... AM3 and DDR3 makes more sense to me than upgrading the CPU alone.

Other than that I third Triple who seconded me ;)

5. UnsettledBrute

Price really isn't too great of a factor, i am going to sell my ps3 with games and if i decide to build an entire new pc i can just sell this one. I do need a new PSU but i don't know if my case would be forgiving. My case is sort of a mini, roughly 1 1/2 feet in length 1/2 foot in width and about a foot tall. Im not even sure some of the new video cards would even fit in it.

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Money isn't an issue, eh :eek:

A case could also be had for $50 or so for a decent Antec or similar.

What would you like to spend without giving anything else up for sale?

7. UnsettledBrute

Im not looking to replace my CPU that's the best part in my system. Your talking about DDR3 RAM cannot be supported on my motherboard?

8. UnsettledBrute

Im thinking somewhere around $500-$600 if sales go as planned i know i can at least get $350 for my ps3 and games, What do you think my pc would sell for? It has Windows 7 ultimate...

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    DDR3 requires a new motherboard, which also requires a new CPU.

An Athlon X2 6000+ really isn't all that great.

Are you planning on including a genuine and original copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on it? If not then its worthless. Otherwise the hardware is worth $200 to $300, more likely on the low end of that.

10. UnsettledBrute

Really? I thought my CPU was a good one, not compared to the i7's. Plus i got a great deal on it, $60:). Im not looking for a super computer by any means i just want something to play some of the new games coming out. Also i will running resolutions of 1360x768 on a 720p HDTV!

11. UnsettledBrute

I can still upgrade my mother board and keep my CPU right? Of course its a genuine copy, would i want a moderator to condone me selling a cracked copy of windows?

12. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

In that range... games...

Awww, getting out of touch a bit with my X2 4000 and all ;)
    ATI 5xxx card
    4GB DDR3
    PSU 6-700w quality unit
    Case
    a mid range quad core

That should get you under $600, and you could easily tweak card to go lower, same as CPU.

13. UnsettledBrute

What about my motherboard lol?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you go to the latest AMD socket which is AM3 and has DDR3 support then you will need a new CPU - the memory controller is built into the CPU.

15. UnsettledBrute

Oh, i see. Also the 4870 has 256 bit memory as compared to the 5770 that only has 128 bit.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice