1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with upgrading...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 911nimo, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 911nimo

911nimo Thread Starter

Hello, I am considering upgrading my PC ...

specifications...
    CPU: Pentium 4 3.2 GHz
    MoBo: Gigabyte EP31-DS3L rev.2.1 ( BIOS upgraded to FDc Beta)
    RAM: 2x 1GB DDR2 667MHz
    GPU: Gigabyte nVidia Geforce 8400 GS
    HDD: WD 500GB caviar blue & WD 2TB caviar green
    DVD RW drive
    stock 1000w PSU

since money is a little tight , I am considering keeping my MoBo and RAM, and start the upgrade with:
    Intel Core2Quad Q8300 2.5GHz

over the next couple of month I might get:
    GIGABYTE nVidia GTS 250 1GB

the question is is that gonna work out or the MoBo & the 667mhz RAM wont do it....

also, a friend told me that cheap stock PSUs wont handle the core 2 quad and the GTS, and i would have to get a very expensive OCZ PSU...
    is that true? or can a cheap stock PSU still get my by, even if it means getting a weaker GPU as I am not much of a gamer... the only reason I thought about the GTS is to maybe try out CUDA video encoding.... and i have been using stock PSUs forever without any real problems...

(i know they get worn out over time, so what? i have to change the PSU every 10 months or so, still a bargain for me )...

the CPU is the main reason why I am upgrading.... The PC is on almost 24/7 and i do a lot of video Encoding....

Thanks in advance....

2. bigbear

bigbear

The bare minimum you need to consider is mobo,cpu & ram.
    The cpu you posted is not going to fit your old mobo

3. 911nimo

911nimo Thread Starter

first of all thanks for the quick reply... may you elaborate?

what do you mean when you say it wont fit? the CPU is a socket755 and it's supported by the MoBo with BIOS beta version FDc as stated on the official website http://ee.giga-byte.com/products/mb/cpulist/ga-ep31-ds3l_21.html

or do you mean it wont be good performance wise...

and what about the ram? if it is necessary, I can exchange the old ones for DDR2 1066MHz...

thanks again :)

4. bigbear

bigbear

Yea sorry I did make an assumption that a mobo running an intel p4 would not run a core2quad seems I am wrong :eek: but then I am more of an AMD fan ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/967246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice