1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with usb connection

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by django47, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. django47

django47 Thread Starter

Sadly my most favourite shows stopped being aired on TV, but I was really chuffed to find them on you tube. It's great watching them on my note book pc but it would be even better if I was able to watch them on my telly.
    Would I be able to connect my pc to my telly using USB or some other cable. I am using Windows 8.1 64-bit.
    I would be grateful if somebody would be kind enough to let me know if and how this would be possible, many thanks.
    PS I'm not sure if I have posted this in the correct place, if not please relocate, thanks again.
    django47

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not likely; at least, I've never heard of such a connection.

HDMI is the easiest way to connect the TV as a monitor. But, of course, you need to have HDMI ports on computer and TV. What ports do you have on each?

3. django47

django47 Thread Starter

TerryNet, thank you for replying to my post.
    Both my tv and pc are quite new and both have USB and HDMI ports plus other ports which I will have to search for the quick start manuals to see what they are for. Once I have that info' I'll post it to you right away. As I never needed to use any of the ports on my pc, apart from USB for mouse, and port for power, the rest were not used, therefore I never needed to find out what they did.
    I do believe that it is possible to somehow run a second monitor using these connections. I am confused, please help.
    Mick (django47)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just buy an HDMI cable of sufficient length for your needs. All you need to look up for the TV is how to switch the input from "TV" to HDMI (and back). On the PC the easiest way to control the display is to hold the Windows logo key and press p. That will give you four choices, and you can make your selection using the mouse pointer or arrow keys and ENTER. The external monitor (TV) is called the "Projector" in these choices. Try "duplicate" first and then "Projector only." You may have to fiddle with the screen resolution (right click an empty spot on the desktop and select 'Screen resolution').

There is no need to buy the "gold plated" very expensive cables. The moderately priced cables work fine.

5. django47

django47 Thread Starter

TerryNet, thank you so much for all the info' you have passed on to me. I would never have known to do the things you advised.
    Yes both TV (LG) and Notebook (Asus 15" Touch screen) have HDMI & USB 2.0 & USB 3.0, VGA port, LAN port, Kensington security slot and power input port.
    Sorry mate, just copying from user manual, all 3 pages, the rest is all legal copyright etc. Yes I will first take photo's on my mobile of all the ports on note book pc and show to chap in Maplins so he can see exactly what I want. Then, armed with cables and your professional advice, fingers crossed.
    django47 (Mick).

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You don't need the photos. Just get the length of HDMI cable that you want. :)

7. django47

django47 Thread Starter

Cheers mate, I only mentioned taking a picture was so that I came away with the exact cables, like the male and female ends, or maybe both same. Actually what I'm considering is having a proper butchers at the ports and buying them online. Anyway, thanks once again,
    Regards,
    Micky (django47).

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You are in the UK, right? Great Britain and the United Sates; two countries separated by a common language! :) What does "proper butchers at the ports" mean?

9. clayto2

clayto2

A 'proper butchers' means a good look, cockney (I think) from 'butchers hook.'

I tried connecting my Windows 8.1 Tablet via an HDMI cable but it did not work, almost certainly because the TV is about 10 years old. Another increasingly popular approach is a wireless sender such as Chromecast or Amazon FireStick (there are others) especially if you want to avoid the clutter of cables. They plug in to the TV HDMI port and can make your TV an internet receiver too. My Chromecast works OK with the old TV. About $35 in the USA, I think.

clayto2

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One of my daughters uses a Chromecast and is satisfied with it.

What doesn't work with the HDMI connection? No matter the age of the TV I would expect it to work, but possibly not have an acceptable screen resolution. Did you try both 'Duplicate' and 'Projector only'?

11. clayto2

clayto2

I got no response at all from the TV when I connected with an HDMI cable, but I did not follow it up very thoroughly because my TV handbook specifically said the HDMI ports 'were not suitable for use with a computer' (I had kicked myself for not having read that before I bought two cables.) So I did not follow up the options you mention, I would have done if the TV had at least responded in some way. No one could tell me why the HDMI port did not work (not even Panasonic, the TV manufacturer).

So getting the Chromcast was a gamble. I was very pleased when I found that it worked well enough (some glitches) and that as well as connecting the TV with the internet for TV programs and videos (YouTube etc), it also cast my Tablet's screen to the TV (though that is a Beta function at present).

clayto2

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wait; I didn't earlier notice the account change. Are you one person with two accounts? Multiple accounts are not allowed, so which name do you prefer?

13. clayto2

clayto2

Hello TerryNet

I think you have got confused between django47 and me, clayto2. We are two different people. Looking back through the posts I can how the mistake could have been made, but django47 referred to his TV being new whereas I referred to mine being 10 years old (and the likely reason for the HDMI cable connection not working). I joined the discussion to point out that wireless senders like Chromecast, FireStick and others are another approach to connecting with a TV, as well as using a cable.

I am sorry if I was the cause of the confusion!

clayto2

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!