1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with usb pins and header

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ajrobson, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

I have just been given a all in one internal card reader, the card reader has a 9 usb pin header on it but when i looked at my motherboard i can only find a 10 pin header.
    Can anyone tell me if there is anyway to connect this to my motherboard or if there is a converter to turn a 9 pin to 10 pin.

Thanks in advance

2. CHR15B

CHR15B

I had the same scenario a few months back.

First of all, the pins will be labelled on the mobo (Well 1 should be).

Pin 10 is the one you don't want to use, just remove the blanking "bung" off the plug itself, most of them can be removed with a needle or thumb tack, that should work.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Or, cut the pin off the MB. :)

4. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's. From what i can remember all it says is usb 3 so if i remove the bunking will each of the nine wires be seperate like most internal usb devices?? Also if its not labled how do i know which pin not to use?

Thanks again

5. CHR15B

CHR15B

It will be marked on the motherboard which is Pin 1, the one on the opposite side, next line down will be pin 10, this is the one you don't want to use.

The connector will still separate the individual pins, pin 10 will be in the connector but not in contact with anything.

6. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

Hay thanks it worked fine.

Can anyone tell me the name of the cable though as its a bit tight and searching usb cables just brings up external cables.

Thanks again!!!

7. ChuckE

ChuckE

There are two configurations of USB header pins on motherboards and interface cards for PCs. One is called the "Intel header layout" and the other is called the "Gigabyte header layout"
    The Intel layout is used in the vast majority of places (approx. 90%) and the other 10% is the Gigabyte layout.

The one layout mentioned above is the Intel type, and chances are that is what you have. However, if you happen to have the Gigabyte style, you may burn up the devices using the even pins (2,4,6,8, and 10).
    I would not chance it, I'd use a meter (or whatever means) to validate the pins before plugging anything in.

For more info, and an illustration of the two types, goto:
    http://www.directron.com/installusb.html

I would feel fairly safe with the 9pin header, if the missing pin (generally called the "key") was in the corner location, as being the Intel header layout. If the missing pin is not in the corner, I would also feel fairly safe in thinking that is the Gigabyte header layout. But if all 10 pins are there, then without a meter, or some sort of on-board designation as to what the pins are, you really can not be sure which you have.

Good luck.

8. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

thanks for the information, my motherboard as the intel configuration. I still do not know what the name of the cable is called though, as i said searching usb cables only brings up the ones with usb plugs at the end and not the pins.
    I also went to pc world today but could not find the wire can anyone tell me the name or a good uk site to by them from??

9. ChuckE

ChuckE

There is no ONE name for that cable, it may be named various but similar names from different manufacturers.
    (Similar to USB "Thumbdrive" or "Flashdrive" or "Pendrive" or "Keychain drive" or "Keydrive" or "USB drive" or or or ...)

To find those cables, just Google something like:
    USB header pin cable
    It really should not be too hard to locate them.
    Some I found:
    http://www.frontx.com/cpx101_2.html
    http://www.xpcgear.com/mobohead2usb.html
    http://www.mrusb.co.uk/catalog/prod...d=362&osCsid=e268128b61f4872022b011886ee00702

You may find some cables that have the female connectors not in once solid block, but all loose, or with maybe just a few pins in a couple smaller blocks, and the rest individual. The reason for those types of cables is that they can be used for either the Intel USB header configuration OR the Gigabyte style.
    You just have to be aware of what type of header you have, and plug the pins in accordingly. There are usually instructions with those cables, to clarify, and those cables will have all the pins very clearly marked (no one wants to burn up anything).

Good luck!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice