1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with User accounts please

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sashama, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sashama

Sashama Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 991 Mb
    Graphics Card: SiS 661FX/GX Mirage Graphics, 32 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 20002 MB, Free - 7540 MB; F: Total - 238472 MB, Free - 85341 MB;
    Motherboard: , SiS-661
    Antivirus: PC Cleaner Pro, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

Hello. I am a comlete novice but learning - out of necessity to manage this old girl desktop so I can work. No questions asked - this is what i have and need to work with until further notice... I bought it from a friend and had a technician repair it for me. Alot was wrong when I got it back but I have closely follwed alot of posts on this site and managed to fix alot of the problems. Thank you tech guys!!!

Obvioussly - I have a space issue - so everything beside programs is on an extranal drive. I have managed to clear up alot of disk space - now I am looking at the user accounts. If I go into advanced - user settings - I see 3 user accounts - 1 adminitrator, 1 backup and 1 current - info is spread accross them all - but only 1 user account on start up - is that correct? If I run disc clean up - it seems only to clean out one of the accounts? If i go into the doc setting folder - there are lots of doubled up files - in user, default user, my user name and administrator. Can i streamline this and how?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Instead of using a computer that contains all the "debris" and problems from its previous owner, what's needed is a clean reinstall of Windows XP SP3 and getting a fresh start with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Sashama

Sashama Thread Starter

Reinstall Windows XP SP3 and getting a fresh start with it. Got it - thanks.... :(

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    As long as you keep all your personal data(documents, music, videos, photos, etc.) stored in your external USB hard drive, the 20 GB hard drive in that computer will have plenty of space for Windows XP SP3 and all your programs and extras.

If you reduce the Recycle Bin from 10% to 3% and reduce System Restore from 12% to 3%, that'll give it more breathing room.

------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Sashama

Sashama Thread Starter

yes I actually did that already - I read it in one of your other posts - freed up a whole lot of disk space. Thanks for that. The disk drive was full - I wanted to load photoshop but there was not enough space so I began reading all the posts and found alot of really valuable info here... I emptied out lots of redundant programs leftovers that I found in the c drive - read up about the cleaners - uninstalled some free cleaners I had downloaded... etc etc -cleaned up the browser - suddenly I have loads mores space.. That is how I found the user folders in doc & settings - I'm learning.... dont understand yet - but i will...

My needs are simple - play music - I have Vlc - write/ word/ pictures/ photoshop and internet /exlporer- I just need the pc to not lag, crash and speed would be a big plus... so as long as I can clean it up -it works.

hosestly I wouldn't know how to begin again with XSP3 - I dont understand how to...
    I just need to fix a few problems and I am happy enough with what I have. I tried to remove quicktime from "remove programs' but it say it cant be located... yet I see it in the apple folders in the user accounts?

I have a problem with compatible view for word docs - when i open it says "the feature you are trying to use is on cd/ removable disc that is not available... insert microsoft validation add in disk" - if i browse for it i cant find it... if I click cancel on the tab - it opens document - so I just do that.

I will never use media player - I want to uninstll it - I found a page in microsoft that says how - i will try it - learning learning learning...

Thanks very much for responding and your help. It is great to find so much good info on this site. And yes - I admit - I have no idea what the difference is between RAM and disk space... I'll look it up... x

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Doing the following will reclaim more free space in that hard drive:

Click Start - Run, then type in

%temp% (% is the percentage symbol on the number 5 key)

and then click OK.

Click Start - Run, then type in

c:\windows\temp

and then click OK.

Once those 2 temp folders appear and you can view their contents, select and delete EVERYTHING that's inside them.

If a few files resist being deleted, that's normal behavior. Leave them alone and delete EVERYTHING else.

If a massive number of files are being deleted, the computer may appear to "hang". Be patient and wait for the deletion process to finish.

After it's done, empty the Recycle Bin and then restart the computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

If perchance it's a Dell brand, advise what the 7-character "service tag" number on the sticker is.

If perchance it's a HP/Compaq brand, advise what the product number(P/N) and model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice