1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with video card drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nanoff, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nanoff

nanoff Thread Starter

I'm having trouble with my AMD Radeon 5700 HD video card and AMD software and tech support isn't helping at all.

I'll detail some previous issues:
    I'm formatting my computer in order to sell it to a friend, in part because it kept asking to repair itself and getting stuck when reaching the same registry every time, apparently the disc reader drivers. While reinstalling Windows 7, I had to reset the PC while installing because it got stuck close to the end of the process. This messed up the installation and kept asking for a reboot whenever the instalation progress began again, so I had to manually reset the BIOS to skip the regular disc reader when booting because it kept asking for a password I didn't know, then install Windows 7 from a USB disc reader.
    No problems from there on, I continued setting up the PC, installing software like winRAR, drivers, Realtek audio, etc. so it was in working condition to get sold. But apparently the video card drivers never installed correctly.

I've tried downloading at least 10 versions of AMD catalyst installer/ administrator/whatever from the AMD site, and none seem to be doing the job. I thought I was close with one or two installers that seemed different but they only support x32 versions and I have x64 installed, when checking the page for the x64 drivers, the site provides the exact same file. I tried manually downloading the drivers but it's asking me for an .inf file that I don't have.

I don't want to restore the old version of Windows from Windows.old because of the aforementioned trobule when reinstalling from the hard drive, but it's a last resource option.

I'd highly appreciate some help.

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

3. nanoff

nanoff Thread Starter

First of all, thanks for replying.

I did a clean install! The problem is now I can't install the drivers for the video card properly.
    I installed (I think) exactly the version of the legacy driver you posted, but I'm still getting issues like the taskbar not being transparent, slowdown when opening multiple windows, noticeable afterimage when dragging a window along the screen too fast, and I haven't even tried to run a game on it, so I'm assuming the catalyst manager isn't doing its job. I'll try installing these two again as soon as I can but I don't think it will work.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you install the chipset/mb driver prior to attempting to install the video driver?
    This must be done in order to install the video driver. Check device mgr; see if it shows SM bus in yellow.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If that's a factory-brand computer, what is its brand name and model name and model number?
    If that's a self-built computer, what is the brand name and model number of its motherboard?

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. nanoff

nanoff Thread Starter

Motherboard is a Gigabyte H55M-S2H, processor is Intel Core i7 CPU 870

I did install the AMD catalyst software before the intel drivers, that might be the problem. Should I remove all AMD software from my PC and install again?
    Also I'm checking the device manager up and down and can't find SMbus anywhere.

7. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Yes.....but first go into your BIOS and disable the onboard GPU, restart and let it boot up then use DDU (display driver uninstaller) to remove driver/software (this has to be done in safemode), then restart and let boot up and then redownload legacy driver and reinstall.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is good. If you have the sm bus in yellow, it means your chipset driver is not installed. Since you installed in the wrong order ie the amd software first, here is what I would do;
    1 Go to the support page for your motherboard and download the inf driver
    2 Uninstall ALL amd software. Reboot when prompted
    3 Install or reinstall the inf driver you downloaded in step #1. Reboot when prompted.
    4 Install the amd driver. FWIW I just install the driver and not CCC [if possible]

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  10. nanoff

nanoff Thread Starter

I should clarify, I had to manually reset BIOS by removing the battery and placing it back in to reset the password and change the boot order in order to do the fresh install. Maybe that's why the chipset drivers are gone?
    That's why I'm not sure whether to go with bassfisher6522 or crjdriver's suggestions, the first ones might adress BIOS issues but the second one sounds less risky to be honest :(

Either way, I just checked and my motherboard is rev 1.4, should I just go ahead with the rev 1.1 drivers?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

1 Third party driver programs are NOT recommended on this site
    2 There is no need to disable your onboard video. When you install a real video card, the onboard is disabled.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Are you sure you have a GA-H55M-S2H motherboard, and that it's not actually a GA-H55M-D2H motherboard?

Gigabyte GA-H55M-D2H (rev. 1.4)

---------------------------------------------------------------

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  13. nanoff

nanoff Thread Starter

Yes, it's GA-H55M-D2H! I used a cmd command to check, I should have checked the motherboard directly...

Okay, so I uninstalled all AMD software and am now trying to install the INF drivers off that link (namely the Intel INF installation). I decompressed the folder and am reading the readme file for how to install on Win7 after OS installation. One of the steps asks me to find either MPS Uniprocessor PC or MPS Multiprocessor PC on the device manager. Neither are showing up.

I tried using the setup.exe in the decompressed folder but it didn't prompt me to reboot, and SM bus isn't showing up in device manager either, so I'm stuck

Sorry to keep this going for so long, I keep running into more problems

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

SM Bus is NOT going to show as long as the chipset driver is installed. You are fine; just install the video driver.

15. nanoff

nanoff Thread Starter

By video driver you mean the VGA driver off the Gigabyte website, or the AMD software?
    I'm trying the VGA just in case, both x64 and x32 versions, both are telling me "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1184590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice