1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WhoaThis, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WhoaThis

WhoaThis Thread Starter

Ok right now i have a Radeon 32 MB PCI card installed on my computer. I am having some problems with it so i want to install my other AGP card. When i put the AGP card in the slot the computer doesnt recognize it. Is there a reason for this?
    I will give u my computer specs just incase u need them for the problem:
    1.33 ghz Athalon
    Shuttle ak31 MOBO
    390 MB ram
    Windows 2000 pro

2. brianF

brianF

Are you trying to run both cards at once????
    Bios needs to be set to enable assign irq for vga

If you not trying to run both at once, did you change over to std vga, uninstall the pci card in add remove hardware, then shutdown and swap out the cards.

3. WhoaThis

WhoaThis Thread Starter

So i uninstall my radeon display from remove programs then switch off my comp and swap the cards but nothing comes up on my monitor? do i have to do something in bios?

4. brianF

brianF

Did you change over to std vga drivers first, remove the card using either add remove hardware or just go to device manager, click on display adapter, and hit remove.
    Once thats done you should be able to shutdown, install the agp card, reboot, and windows should be able to see it.

I am wondering if the agp card is working, can you test it on another computer.

5. WhoaThis

WhoaThis Thread Starter

i cant test it on another computer because none of them have agp slots.... if it doesnt work cant i just switch back to the pci?

6. WhoaThis

WhoaThis Thread Starter

i just checked the device manager and it has picked up the agp video card. this must have happened just yesterday when i installed 2000 pro and removed 98se. 98 must have not be recognizing it for some reason.

7. brianF

brianF

Well you should be able to install the drivers from ati and your all set. Just make sure you get win2k drivers for it, not win9x

8. WhoaThis

WhoaThis Thread Starter

this is very messed up....i have just restarted my computer and went back to hardwar manager and now only the radeon PCI is showing and not the agp!! wut is this? why isnt it showing up anymore?

9. brianF

brianF

I don't know what's going on, you had better go here http://support.ati.com/manual_pdf/radeon_aiw_user_guide_v4.pdf and get the installation manual. Read through it and install accordingly

Did you remove the pci from the machine.
    Have you checked you bios and made sure agp aperture memory is set to 64 minimum

10. WhoaThis

WhoaThis Thread Starter

well, i finally got it to stay in the device manager the whole time.....so now im jsut toally gona uninstall the other one and hope it works.......

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice