1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Visual Studio 2005

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JGjo, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JGjo

JGjo Thread Starter

I downloaded this, which took forever, for free from my college b/c we're using it in class. When it finally got done loading and I tried to open it, it says my version of Windows (which is Vista) is not compatible. I did a search for solutions and found an update patch for it, but it says I don't even have the program on my computer to update the software, which I do, or THAT patch isn't compatible, but it wasn't the one listed for Vista and/or 7.

What else can I do? I have homework due at midnight :(

Thanks for any help!

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Are you running Vista with SP2? If not I would try that first. Also ask you instructor or someone in your class if they have a solution.
    Is there a chance your college has a MSDNAA subscription? If so you may be able to download VS 2010.

4. JGjo

JGjo Thread Starter

hanks for your replies!

leroys, i will look into that website! i don't have an .edu email, but i think there's something i can do to get around it if i remember correctly.

frank, i'm pretty sure we do and that's where i got it from. i believe i saw it on the list, but i wasn't sure i should download it b/c my book is from 2008 and was afraid some of the things have changed and i don't know a thing, so i'd be confused.

thanks again! will look into both more :)

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I have VS 2010 and one of the things I found when opening a project file created by VS 2003, is that 2010 wants to convert the vcproj file to a vcxproj file before it can be used.

Something tells me (although I haven't tried it), VS 2003 probably can't open a 2010 vcxproj file, so there is a compatibility issue unless Microsoft has a converter to deal with it. Other than that and 2010 has way too many toolbar buttons and drop-down menus I don't use, they work the same.

6. JGjo

JGjo Thread Starter

thanks for the tip! i will look for that and see how it works out!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/947247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice