1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with wifi connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gkclangdon, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gkclangdon

gkclangdon Thread Starter

Good morning please forgive me for not being computer illiterate I downloaded ur free SysInfo utility but don't know how to attach it or attach a screenshot . I am having problems connecting to the wireless internet. I just got this home computer from my Aunt. It's Windows Vista Home Edition. I have a Star Tech USB 802.11n Dual Band WiFi adapter & can not connect to the internet. I'm getting a message saying press configuration button on the acess point before continuing

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hello, gkclangdon, and welcome to TSG.

Are you using a router or modem/router to connect to the Internet? If so, does it have WiFi built in? If so, does it have a button marked WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) on it?

If it does not have a WPS button, you will need to manually configure the WiFi connection on your computer.

gkclangdon likes this.
  3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Windows Vista has this annoying feature where if it detects the WPS that Chuck mentioned, it will ask you do this instead of asking for a password.

There should be a link in the box that says Use a Security Key instead.

gkclangdon and cwwozniak like this.
  4. gkclangdon

Hi thank you 4 ur reply I'm using a modem think the computer was given 2 me & was connecting to the internet just fine at my aunts home. The wifi adapter is usb 802.11n dual band wifi adapter no button how do I manually configure the wifi? Is there a YouTube video I can learn from? Thx so very much for ur help

5. gkclangdon

Yes the computer does ask for a security key but the print is very small in the manual so I can't read it very well any suggestions?

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Do you have other devices at your location that have a working WiFi connection to the modem? If so, the security key used by one of those devices would be the WiFi security key you need to use with the WiFi adapter on the new computer.

If you do not have any other devices using a WiFi connection to the modem, do you know for sure if your modem has built-in WiFi support? Not all do. Is there any possibility your computer's WiFi adapter is attempting to connect to a nearby neighbor's WiFi access point?

7. gkclangdon

Oh u got me I don't know that much about computers I'll try 2 contact my cousin & c if he can help me fix this problem thank you so very much for your help have a great week

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you tell us the brand and model number of your modem, we should be able to tell you if it supports WiFi connections and if it supports WPS. The full model number should be on a label or molded into the modem housing

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    If it's a default password, you should find it on the modem/router.

If the modem/router is from the ISP, the ISP may be able to assist in getting the password.

10. gkclangdon

Thank you everybody for your posts. I got my internet running!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice