1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Help with wifi on older Toshiba laptop running XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tom Seeley, Aug 30, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

Hi. This may be an exercise in futility but I'm curious and I need help.

I've inherited my daughter's older Toshiba Satellite A85-S107, running Win XP Home Edition Service Pack 3, with a Celeron 1.4 GHz processor and only 1.12 GB RAM. I know it's woefully underpowered but I'm curious if I could still make it work at all.

I have a Linksys Wireless G 2.40 GHz 802.11g notebook adapter card that I plug into the socket on the Toshiba. I know my daughter has connected to the internet that way when she has used it while visiting but I can't seem to make it connect.

When I plug in the Linksys card, a window pops up quickly saying "Windows unable to find a certificate to log you into the network". It can find my home network, which runs fine on my new Dell desktop, using ATT Uverse and both wifi and an Ethernet cable to my own desktop. But the laptop just sits there "waiting for network to be ready..." or "validating ...something...". Even once a window pops up saying I'm connected I never get asked to type in my home network's password, so I never really do get online. I tried plugging in the Ethernet cable but that didn't work either.

Am I pushing a rope here? Is the Toshiba simply so underequipped I should just give up? Or can someone give me some suggestions, please. Don't hesitate to ask more questions about my hardware, but I can't go online with the laptop so this all may be a waste of my time--and yours!

Thx in any event.

Tom

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Any error message with the ethernet attempt? Get a LED lighting when the cable is inserted? Was it working the last time it was tried?

What encryption are you using? I'm nearly certain that card cannot support WPA2 and may struggle mightily with WPA/WPA2. Did it ever connect to your current wireless network?

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'm not sure why you are using a card. That model has an internal Atheros® 802.11b/g wireless-LAN
    Source: https://support.dynabook.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1042296
    I downloaded the pdf of the detailed specs and I looked at the Product Tour.

I don't have any laptop running XP (only 2 desktops and neither have wireless capability) so I don't remember how you do wireless in XP.

Take the PCMCIA wireless card out. Open device manager and expand Network adapters. Do you see an Atheros device listed there? If it has a yellow ! or a red X, go here
    https://support.dynabook.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1042296
    select XP SP2/SP3 as the OS when you click on drivers and you will see the Atheros Mini PCI wireless LAN 802.11 b/g driver.

4. Tom Seeley

Thx. First of all, to the first responder: I think the best quesiton you ask is "did my daughter ever really connect to my current wifi?" I forgot about that. I seriously doubt she did. She last tried so far ago I doubt it was after I switched to ATT Uverse and their modem and wifi. I suspect I was wrong to say she had ever connected to my current home wifi using this hardware.

Now, as to the 2nd responder: I'm in way way over my head here, but I'll try to understand what you're saying. Bear with me, pls.

1. I do find the Atheros device you mentioned. Device Mgr says it's ok. There are no yellow or red marks next to it in the Device Mgr list when I expand Network adapters.
    2. When I select the driver Device Mgr shows me v 3.1.2.45, which is almost identical to the one shown on the list you sent me the link for. When I tried to update the driver, of course Windows couldn't because I can't go online.
    3. When I go to Network Connections I see the Atheros device listed under LAN or High-Speed Internet, as Wireless Connection 4, not connected, firewalled. When I double click that, I get a window saying "no wireless networks found in range." [I'm less than 6' from my perfectly functional ATT Uverse modem, using it properly on my Dell desktop, as I type!] Below this line in the message window is the next sentence, saying "Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on." This is the part that totally stumps me!

Based on my first reply to the excellent question from responsder #1, I'm really close to saying "fuggedaboutit, Tom, it's not worth it", but I really do appreciate your help and I'm willing to keep trying a little longer if you (plural) are willing to bear with me.

thx.

Tom

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You answered my last sentence question, but the remainder of my post is more important to your issue.

The wireless switch is probably red and on the front of the laptop, but it may be on the side.

6. Tom Seeley

Well I’ll be whatevered! I’m online!

Actually I’m on my iPad to type this, but the old Toshiba is in fact connected to my home wifi! I have never known there was a physical switch to turn internal WiFi capability on or off, so I never thought to look for one! Even when I did know, it was really really small and totally black, of course, on a totally black case, so I almost missed it! But at least once I flipped it it did turn on a red light!

Thank you!

Now that I’m online, I’ve got tons more questions, which I’ll repost properly in separate messages in the proper forums.

plodr likes this.
  7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice