1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with Win ME not starting

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cougartrace, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cougartrace

cougartrace Thread Starter

Hi all,

Have a neighbor who couldn't start his Win ME pc in normal or safe mode. I ran a scandisk and he had multiple errors. I tried the scanreg restore but it won't run as it is corrupt. I tried to rename the windows folder and reinstall with the ME cd, but it says that it sees an OS and that it needs the ME Upgrade Edition CD?

My assumption is that the drive is failing, however I would like to help him get some photos off the drive. Is there a way to re-install the windows or should I just remove drive and slave to another machine?

2. lisak2

lisak2

Welcome to my life :D. I'm currently trying to fix my windows Me Machine, only I ONLY have the upgrade version of the Me install CD >.<. A Linux Live CD is good for getting files off of a computer before reformatting if you have access to one. If you dont...well, I also couldn't get my system to start up in regular/safe mode. I ended up having to bypass the startup registry (pressing esc. at the OS window). Honestly, been working for hours. Have you tried using the boot disk to start the computer at all? reading the help file there tells you a lot. (ok, so I'm new at this. help files are my friend :) but still, thought i'd ask).

3. cougartrace

cougartrace Thread Starter

Yes, that's the only way I can remotely access the pc is to use a boot cd.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice