1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with win xp activation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by moneys2, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moneys2

moneys2 Thread Starter

I waited the 30 days before activating windows xp (stupid mistake :\)

I use windows home with service pack 2. I have a cable modem and a router that connects to 2 other computers.

Anyways when I log on it takes me right to an activation screen. I click on activate on line but windows cannot detect my on line settings. Weird part is surfing the web worked before this activation screen poped up. So i tried calling windows activation support and I gave them my installation ID. But the lady on the phone said it was not a valid number. I even called again and double checked to see if I gave it right. Didn't work.

Is there now a way to activate windows with out reinstalling windows? (I'd like to keep the files in my documents and microsoft is no help)

Thanks in advanced.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If it is a valid ID, and the disk has never been used on another PC, and is not a copy, then escalate the call.

Is this a new PC?

An upgraded installation?

Some history would help.

3. moneys2

moneys2 Thread Starter

Well this computer is about 2 years old now. I don't have my original xp boot disk so I use my laptops.

I reformat my hard drive every 6 months to help speed things up. The other 2 times I used my laptop disk it worked. Windows could detect my on line settings and I would just enter my activation code and it worked fine.

I know the code is valid as i have enetered it before. any ideas? As said* before I'd rather not reinstall windows and lose the files in my documents.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328796