1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with WIN2K Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by physician, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. physician

physician Thread Starter

I came home and none of my programs would start with the mouse. I did have a message about winlogon.exe problem also at this time (first time to ever see it) So I did the start button and restart. I immediately got a bsod. I did not get the error, but it did say something bout disconnecting the last device that I had connected - which there were none. So I did a reboot and nothing - I got an error message that said to put the Win 2K Cd in and I did. I tried to do a repair, then an emergency repair with no luck as it asked for the emergency disk which I never had, just the install disk. So I thought no problem, I would use the Win2k boot disk that I have - wrong. I got an error message:
    <windows2000root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Next, I booted up in linux and no problems - surfed the net etc. So I rebooted and the boot made it thru grub then I got this error: file missing or corrupt \winnt\system32config\systemced

Can anyone figure outwhat is going on, what the problem is and how I can fix it. I do have the option to do a repair with the installation disk. Appreciate it...doc

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless you have added some new hardware [like a raid controller] that message generally means you have a damaged and or corrupted registry.

3. natcom

natcom

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would try a repair install since you do not have a erd.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are successful in repairing your system, download and run the hd mgf's utility for checking the drive. Your hd may be failing.

6. physician

physician Thread Starter

7. physician

physician Thread Starter

i am running raid 0 setup. if it has failed, then there was no warning...doc

8. natcom

natcom

yes i have try that before download the 6 disks for xp dont worry then download the Windows 2000 Registry Repair Utility and run it then You will be asked to insert Disk No. 6 of the Windows XP Setup Boot Disks into your floppy drive, it will write new files to that disk then you can use those 6 disks to boot up the windows 2000 machine and Select the Repair option easy

9. physician

physician Thread Starter

thanks. i downloaded the disks and was wondering if i have to make six floppies. can i just burn one cd and run it from there, then use the repair app after from the same disc...doc

10. physician

physician Thread Starter

Natcom

my computer guy who built the computer said that if it would not do a repair or recovery from the disk - then my problem was that somehow my raid controller was messed up. He had me do a reinstall of the raid controller and it booted all the way up to the windows screen. It then went to a bsod with a fatal system error c 000021a. it said to uninstall the last hardware that i installed (none recently) and then reboot. at least now i can boot into safe mode - wrong got the same bsod in safe mode. I still need help here - don't know what is going on. guess i'll try a repair again...doc

11. physician

physician Thread Starter

another update

reinstalled the raid drivers and was able to use the win2k disk to get to the repair tools. they did not work for me. so i did the install route to get to the second repair options that you get when it detects your win OS - this worked. it repaired the raid drivers again and other things unknown to me. then we rebooted again (i cant tell you how many times i have watched this thing reboot tonite). apparently i am now doing a reinstall and will lose all my data - i am crushed...doc

12. natcom

natcom

hold on dont rush anything you dont have to lose your data do a Parallel Installation of Windows 2000

Start your computer by using the Windows 2000 CD-ROM After the Setup program finishes inspecting the computer's hardware, press ENTER to set up Windows.
    Press the F8 key to agree to the Windows Licensing Agreement.
    Press the ESC key to install a fresh copy of Windows.
    Press ENTER to set up Windows on the selected partition.

NOTE: You can install Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 on any available partition with sufficient free space. If there are problems with your Boot.ini file, you may want to install Windows on the same partition as the original installation. Your values in the Boot.ini file are the same.
    Press ENTER to leave the current file system intact.

IMPORTANT: If you choose to change the file system, you will lose data from the partition to which you are installing.
    Press ESC to install Windows in a different folder.

If you installed the original copy of Windows in the default Winnt folder, you must type the name of a different folder, and then press ENTER.
    After you change the default folder to a different folder, you can proceed with the installation procedure. Select the components and settings

this will let you install another windows 2000 and keep the old 2000 os you had but you dont have to boot to the old one after you tranfer everything from the old os to the new 1 delate the old windows 2000 easy

13. physician

physician Thread Starter

i am in as a temporary user, it does not save any changes i make, it says my registry is corrupt and wont let me log in as administrator. any suggestions on how to fix the registry...doc

14. physician

physician Thread Starter

here is my hijack this log. wondering if i have something bad that has taken over my computer...doc

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
    Scan saved at 10:26:58 PM, on 9/16/2004
    Platform: Windows 2000 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.00 (5.00.2920.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\CTSvcCDA.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\hidserv.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\nod32cc.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\nod32m2.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect\retrorun.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\WFXSVC.EXE
    C:\WINNT\System32\mspmspsv.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\Explorer.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Eset\amon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Eset\pop3scan.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
    C:\WINNT\MXOALDR.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\MediaDet.Exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~2\firefox.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\WinZip\winzip32.exe
    C:\DOCUME~1\TEMP\LOCALS~1\Temp\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,[email protected],&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [anvshell] anvshell.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Amon] "C:\Program Files\Eset\amon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NOD32POP3] "C:\Program Files\Eset\pop3scan.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Nod32CC] "C:\WINNT\system32\nod32cc.exe" -DONTSHOW
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliType] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\type32.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Disc Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MXO Auto Loader] C:\WINNT\MXOALDR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxtorOneTouch] C:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LiveNote] livenote.exe
    O4 - Startup: ERUNT AutoBackup.lnk = C:\Program Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINNT\web\related.htm
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} - http://207.188.7.150/2705bee3a37903d51c23/netzip/RdxIE2.cab
    O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_01) -
    O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0001-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.1_01) -

15. natcom

natcom

sure do can you boot to your Win2000 CD? If so then when it finally boots At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10, or press R to repair, and then C to start the Recovery Console this will allow you to use the command line. From here do something like the following. Or if the file system is FAT32 you can use a Win98 bootdisk to do this. www.bootdisk.com

COPY /Y C:\WINNT\repair\RegBack\TheParticularHive C:\WINNT\system32\config\

This will replace the registry hive to the last time that hive was bacped up. Hopefully you didn't backup the registry at the time the problems started to happen.

Following is a list of the files that are the registry hives. I would suggest starting with the SYSTEM hive and then reboot and if the problem still persists do the SOFTWARE hive next. Note these files don't have a file extension on them

SAM
    SECURITY
    SOFTWARE
    SYSTEM

For the SYSTEM hive you could try the following before doing the copy method.

ren c:\WINNT\system32\config\SYSTEM SYSTEM.bak
    ren c:\WINNT\system32\config\SYSTEM.alt SYSTEM

I would suggest to first BACKUP these hives from the C:\WINNT\system32\config\ to folder of your making or choice just don't back them up to the C:\WINNT\repair\RegBack\ folder.

You will probably need to reapply any services patches that you have previously installed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice