Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help with win98 Bootable cd-rom

2K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  bassetman 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a little notebook[Sony Vaio] with no floppy. I need to make a bootable cd-rom to [hopefully] install '98. Any help with this endeavor would be most appreciated. I have tried quite a few other places and found them to be pretty useless...It seems from these sites that trying to do this, is nigh on impossible...I hope not...

Thanks,

Chris

#5 ·
ALL certified Microsoft Win98 installation CDs are bootable.

Yes it is possible to create other kinds of bootable CDs, and if this were not an Operating System installation problem you could probably find some help with it. But we cannot help you with installation media that is not provided by Microsoft or the computer vendor itself.

I suggest you contact the Notebook vendor's tech support and ask about getting the proper recovery media for the notebook.

#7 ·
DH, I'm talking to this person -- they don't have an original licensed copy of Microsoft Window 98. They have a burned copy provided by a friend and don't really even know what they have.

They need to contact Sony. Case closed. If you want to offer off the forum help, feel free to do so, but we do not get involved in it as a matter of policy.

#8 ·
For any others that may need a bootable CD ROM (for when you don't have a floppy drive):

There is also a CD ROM boot image you can download at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software/win_boot.iso

There are a lot of the DOS utilities there that don't normally get added when you make one from Win98. For example Diskcopy, Doskey, Format, More, Move, Sys, Edit, Chkdsk, Deltree, Extract, Updated Fdisk, Attrib, Label, Mem, Scandisk, Scanreg, Smartdrv and Xcopy.

It automatically loads with support for a generic CD ROM and assigns it the drive letter of X:

In addition to all the other DOS utilities, the CD version also has:
DELPART - For deleting DOS and NTFS partitions. Can delete extended NTFS partitions.
FDISK121 - FDISK with additional options - See the documentation, and
READNTFS - Read and Copy files on a NTFS partition.

The CD image needs to be burned using a program that recognized ISO images.

#9 ·
I have a feeling that mister rolin' rodg or whatever his name is, has a serious problem with 1]. reading posts 2]. [non-existant]- manners, 3]. making some serious assumptions that are incorrect...

I am new to this list and if the advice/interest/welcome that mr rdg gives to new members[and he's a Moderator!], is anything to go by, then there isn't much point in me sticking around...and it seems to me that mr rodg thinks that he is someone v. important...!...well, maybe he is in his mind but, at this stage, certainly not in mine...

you see ''this person'', mr rodg, as you addressed me, Mr roling rodg, has a name, in case you didn't read it, Mr rodg......

and, I do have a license for a valid copy of win98SE, but as yet, I don't know if the cd is bootable...what I said was, that I didn't have the source cd for the notebook...not what u ***-umed

as far as the other two men ie. Double Helix and Bob Cerelli, the guys with the full brains are concerned, I would like to know what you two are doing with putting your serious amounts of goodwill and knowledge into this site with ''competition'' from a total dork like mr. rodg...beats me.

Thanks to you both for help that may be needed...I will let you know if the cd is bootable.

...however, there are no thanks for the dorkman, mr rolin rodg...

mr rodg, you didn't give me anything but abuse and I ain't gonna thank you for that.

#10 ·
Oh well that could have gone better.
However I'm a tad confused myself now as back in the mists of time when I got my first brand new pc from the mother in laws catologue/mail order, in the box was the fully licenced 98se cd, in like a hologram style, along with a 98 boot floppy.
Now as far I was aware a 98 cd unlike XP was not a bootable cd, if it was why include the floppy?
Just curious
:confused:
Wolfey

#11 ·
I didn't read anywhere in the original post that said the poster did not have license, just that this was a burned copy of Windows 98. It seemed a bit premature to accuse the person of piracy.

I agree with the rules of the forum, but I don't agree with the presumption of guilt lacking evidence.

#12 ·
"I have a little notebook[Sony Vaio] with no floppy. I need to make a bootable cd-rom to [hopefully] install '98."
To my mind this statement says it all, in as much that the guy needs a cd copy of a 98 boot disk floppy.
As you say DH where copyright infringement comes into it I'm not sure.
Wolfey

#16 ·
While I see nothing wrong with offering advice on how to make a CD as a substitute for a floppy -- that is clearly not what was asked or intended here.

The person states that they have a licensed Microsoft CD. Fine. Any properly licensed or legitimate copy will be bootable by default. Why haven't we seen the results of an attempt to boot with it? The idea that Sony would have provided an OEM copy of a Microsoft CD requiring a floppy drive to boot, but no floppy drive on the laptop is ridiculous.

Is the CD-ROM set to boot first in the BIOS? If there is no floppy drive on the system, it should be automatic.

I will leave this thread open ONLY so long as that issue is discussed, not how "to make a bootable CD-ROM [hopefully] to install '98. Help was sought elsewhere for this and no answer given? Give me a break, please :rolleyes:

#17 ·
Hey you guys, hi,

I Do Not have a floppy... my ''fault'', for not mentioning that[seemed to me, that being obvious]...I do have a fully licensed version of win98, not a burned one, but I thought like Wolfey that win98 needed a floppy[I remember it being included with ''every'' copy I ever saw of win98]...so one's assumption is that if one doesn't have/have access to, a floppy, then one needs to do a bootable cd...

Does anyone know how the procedure to do this actually goes/works...links/other would be great...
I have done some reading about using it for making other bootables from ISO's...XP, 2K and others, but it looks like a very lengthy ordeal with alot of variables...

Chris

#23 ·
It seems the phrase "to make a bootable CD-ROM [hopefully] to install '98." has led to two interpretations.
As I have said about the W2K disk, I recently got a laptop from compaq and, after hearing that PC World hold back the system disks I made sure that the disks were included when i got the laptop.
They were but from Compaq stating again quite clearly
"For re-installation of XP Home".
No floppys included as expected.
I'll stick to what I thought earlier.
Wolfey

#25 ·
Rollin' Rog said:
Hey Bob, this person states they have a Microsoft CD -- why don't you just tell them how to boot with it? :D

We will not discuss ISO images further here.
When I first made the post, the only information from them was - "I don't have the original cd for the notebook".

Also from you as well - "I'm talking to this person -- they don't have an original licensed copy of Microsoft Window 98."

So it seemed that from the information provided at that point, they didn't have a Microsoft CD, unless the quotes are not accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.