1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Windows 10 computer!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RandomPerson265, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RandomPerson265

RandomPerson265 Thread Starter

I turned my computer on. The usual screen came up, but the usual picture was replaced with a blue background, but everything else was still there. Typically, I touch any key and my login password comes up. This time my screen went black and nothing happens.

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    What type of computer do you have? Motherboard maker?

3. RandomPerson265

I have a Windows 10 HP computer and Intel inside.
    Sorry, I'm not very good with technology or computers.

4. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Ok. What is needed is the model number. There should be a sticker on the case somewhere that says the HP (model number) That way we can look up your specs and get you the correct instructions.

5. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Do you have a Windows 10 disk or USB flash drive with Windows 10 on it? Did you create a restore point?

6. RandomPerson265

I have a USB flash drive, but I did not create a restore point. Here are the specs:
    •7th generation Intel core i5-7200U Processor (2.5 GHz) [2] [23]
    •1TB Hard Drive [3]
    •8192MB DDR4 SDRAM [4]
    •DVD+_RW Optical Drive [6]
    •Windows 10 [8] [21]
    •Touchscreen, Multi-touch enabled
    •15.6" Diagonal HD LED Display [9]
    •WLAN & Bluetooth® [16] [17]
    Computer Model Number: HP Laptop 15-bs015dx

7. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Using the usb flash drive that has Windows 10 on it, you will need to boot to it (change the boot order in the BIOS) and go to "repair my PC" select "troubleshooting" then "command prompt" try typing these commands in one at a time.
    sfc /scannow

You will need to type C: (enter) then "dir" look for Windows in the directory if you find it there, then you don't need to proceed further but skip to the instructions below)
    Next type D: (enter) then "dir" (normally, at bootup, Windows will be in this drive) look for it, if it's there, then you don't need to go further)
    Keep typing c: , d:, e: , f:, g: , etc....(enter) each separately followed by "dir" (enter) (without the quotes) until you find the file (Windows) listed on the drive. Just go through the alphabet until you find it.

Next type :
    chkskd c: /f (the c: is only example) (( you will need to enter the correct letter in the place of c: where you found windows in the drive (normally D:)

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  8. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    I recommend that he tries to start it in Safe mode first. Did this just happen after a recent Windows update? If so, this is a common problem. The best bet is to roll back the update if possible.

9. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    If you do not have a install disc then you can try the following to access one of the safe mode options.

Force Safe Mode with Power On/Off

1. Press the Power On/Off button to Start and Shut Down the computer as soon as you see the rotating loading circle
    2.Repeat this 2-3 times to stat the Windows Recovery Environment.
    3. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart from the Choose an Option screen.
    4. After your PC restarts, select one of the following Safe Mode options you are instructed to from the Start Up Settings menu:
    • Safe Mode (4)
    • Safe Mode with Networking (5)
    • Command Prompt (6)
    5. Wait for Safe Mode to load.
    6. Logon with an Administrator account if needed.

Paul23 likes this.
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice