Help with windows 10 recovery disk and CMD commands.

puddin1968

Hi everyone I'm Chris.

I'm using a dell xps machine.

After going to "list partition " on the cmd my computer then says "there are no partitions on this disk to show " I then proceeded to "create partition primary" computer says "diskpart has encountered an error: a device which does not exist was specified .see the system event log for more information."

So I can't get any further, I can't see any windows screen to run or accept run as an administrator, it sees my hard drive and says "0 mb" and it shows as "unspecified " or something like that.

I'd like to at least get windows up and running on the same hard drive and then use recuva to try and get everything back because when trying the different solutions on you tube I think I cleaned the drive so when back up a running the only solution is to try and recover everything, can anyone please help?, preferably with pictures?.

I'm using a windows 10 recovery disk and driver pack (pictured)but the machine says the drivers are not upto date, I have just purchased both disks at the same time so both should be upto date, pictures enclosed to help, many thanks everyone,

Attachments

Last edited:

Fireflycph

Morten
There is several issues here - as I see it.
Diskpart does not recognize any hard disk Make sure you can see the hard disk in the system bios.

It seems that you didn't get the discs from Dell. It's quite possible that the ones you got are fine. However, normally you'd want to use recovery software supplied by the system manufacturer.

Can you post the service tag so we can look up the original system configuration?

puddin1968

Thankyou so much for your reply and help, can you show me what it is your referring too please as I'm not sure, thanks.

Fireflycph

Morten
I can't show you.
But - if memory serves me right - you need to press [F2] on a Dell to access the Bios.

The service tag should be on a sticker either on the back or on the side of the system.

I can't do anything with the recovery discs. I did check on SoftwareRepairWorld.com and they are getting horrible reviews. Seems like it's mostly a scam.

Can you open up the Dell and see if there indeed is a hard disk present?

Edit: Open it up if it's a Desktop, not one of the "new" thin Xps'

puddin1968

Yes there is a hard drive and it worked OK until last week when for some reason it froze when I was doing a system check with recuva demo I had no choice but to turn the computer off and on again then that's when this all started.

Fireflycph

Morten
Although the disk is recognized it's not partitionable. Download the hard disk manufacturers testing utility and run both long and short tests. My guess is that neither will run and that the disk is dead. You'll probably need to replace it.

Also I'm not sure this machine can really handle WIn-10. It's at least 6 years old. The warranty expired in 2014. Unfortunately, looking at the "Original Configuration" really doesn't say anything at all.

texasbullet

Ramon
Have you tried using another hard drive. Maybe the one your computer has has gone dead.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
9 years old... and there are no drivers left to download from Dell itself other than the last BIOS update so this may not work out.

Having said that, when you start the machine repeatedly press the F2 button until you get to the bios screen. Check in here to see if the hard drive is being seen. Most likely it will not as DISKPART and even the Setup doesn't see it. You most likely need a new drive.

crjdriver

I'd like to at least get windows up and running on the same hard drive and then use recuva to try and get everything back because when trying the different solutions on you tube I think I cleaned the drive
There is almost no chance. After you clean a disk in diskpart then install windows, you are not going to find anything [unless you are the FBI or NSA]

If you delete a file then immediately stop using the system, your chances of recovery are pretty good. Once you clean a disk then attempt installs, very little [if any] chance of recovery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts