1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with windows 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tazmania1230, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tazmania1230

tazmania1230 Thread Starter

i have windows 98 open..i put the master cd in before shutting down..then shut down and restarted pc..i need master restore to come back up..but it is not..if i go to run what can i do to start the disc

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Is this a Windows98 System CD, and are you trying to reinstall Windows using it?

If so, you should use a Windows startup disk (boot disk). Boot with it and select "start with CD-ROM support". Watch the screen to see what drive letter is assigned the CD-ROM, if it used to be 'd' it will now be 'e'. When you get the a:\> prompt, insert the Windows98 CD and enter:

e:\setup

follow the prompts from there.

3. tazmania1230

the cd i am working with is the master recovery cd..i need to install the system back to manufactures specs

4. n2gun

n2gun

go to the disk and look for install or recover. Had to do it a while back and can't remember which it is. If you have a windows startup disk, put it in A: drive and reboot and start with 1 = cdrom support. After booting type dir e: then hit enter. This is assuming your cd was d: drive before as the boot disk moves iot up one. after you type that, look in the list of files for a file ending with .exe or .bat that says install or recover or something along that line then from a: type e:\filename filename is the name you found and then hit enter and let it install

5. tazmania1230

i have shut down tried to do the bios it will still not let me load the PACKARD BELL MASTER RECOVERY CD..please tell me another way to do it..thank you..

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

7. tazmania1230

yes i belive so..i am on a totally different pc than i am working on..so can i download these to a floppy and put into the other pc?

8. tazmania1230

also...do i need to download both..or just one?...

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice